Separating ducklings of different age

ducksinwashington

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2024
We got two ducklings last Thursday but sadly one failed to thrive and died the next day. I immediately ordered 2 ducklings so our remaining duckling wouldn’t be alone. They hatched yesterday and will arrive tomorrow. I have put this divider into the brooder for their arrival as our remaining duckling has thrived and has nearly tripled in size.

I would love to hear from others who have dealt with this. The new ducklings will be 7-10 days younger. When will it be safe to remove the barrier and have everyone together?

Attachments

• IMG_4762.jpeg
    IMG_4762.jpeg
    606.6 KB · Views: 16
Hello, welcome to BYC :frow

I’ve personally had great success putting 2 week olds with hatchlings, so you may not need the barrier at all. In my experience, the elder, lonely duckling is way more accepting of new friends than a duckling that already has friends. Even if there is bullying, I’ve found that it fizzles out after a day or two and isn’t much of a concern. A 3+ week age gap is the only gap I’ve ever had problems with.

Hello, welcome to BYC :frow

I’ve personally had great success putting 2 week olds with hatchlings, so you may not need the barrier at all. In my experience, the elder, lonely duckling is way more accepting of new friends than a duckling that already has friends. Even if there is bullying, I’ve found that it fizzles out after a day or two and isn’t much of a concern. A 3+ week age gap is the only gap I’ve ever had problems with.
Thank you! That is very reassuring. I was concerned because she did bully her first companion before she passed but hopefully she is just excited for her new friends!

I did this last summer although mine were two weeks apart. I removed the barrier after only a couple of days. It helped having a brooder plate set low for the younger duckling. That way he could dive under it if the bigger one picked on him. They became inseparable.

Back
Top Bottom