Bringing Ducklings to Work?

The babies are 5 weeks old and have now spent 3 nights sleeping outside with Popcorn. I'm in Los Angeles, the lowest it's been at night is 57 degrees. The girls have most of their feathers, just their oil gland area seems to be downy still so I figured they could handle it. I've never seen Popcorn so happy. After the first night, I considered bringing them back inside since it was going to drop to 57 from 60 degrees the night before but I couldn't bear to take them away from Popcorn.

She had spent 5 weeks sleeping alone after watching her partner die. And before meeting us, she lived with another backyard flock briefly that was at max capacity, and before that she was rescued from a city pond where she was dumped as a duckling. She's been through so much in her first 2 years. She has been so sweet and patient with these two little jerks. Chicken occasionally bites at her and Popcorn just joyously bobs her head and takes a few steps back to give her space. Shrimp follows Chicken mostly but will run to Popcorn when she gets spooked. By day 3 they seem to be a lot more comfortable with each other though I still see the ducklings sitting together with Popcorn some feet away. Hopefully that distance will close as their relationship develops.

Attachments

• PXL_20240424_155905181.jpg
    PXL_20240424_155905181.jpg
    687.3 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240424_011917484.jpg
    PXL_20240424_011917484.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240424_011912100.jpg
    PXL_20240424_011912100.jpg
    940.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240423_151648254.jpg
    PXL_20240423_151648254.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
The babies are 5 weeks old and have now spent 3 nights sleeping outside with Popcorn. I'm in Los Angeles, the lowest it's been at night is 57 degrees. The girls have most of their feathers, just their oil gland area seems to be downy still so I figured they could handle it. I've never seen Popcorn so happy. After the first night, I considered bringing them back inside since it was going to drop to 57 from 60 degrees the night before but I couldn't bear to take them away from Popcorn.

She had spent 5 weeks sleeping alone after watching her partner die. And before meeting us, she lived with another backyard flock briefly that was at max capacity, and before that she was rescued from a city pond where she was dumped as a duckling. She's been through so much in her first 2 years. She has been so sweet and patient with these two little jerks. Chicken occasionally bites at her and Popcorn just joyously bobs her head and takes a few steps back to give her space. Shrimp follows Chicken mostly but will run to Popcorn when she gets spooked. By day 3 they seem to be a lot more comfortable with each other though I still see the ducklings sitting together with Popcorn some feet away. Hopefully that distance will close as their relationship develops.
They are beautiful!!!

This is great for 3 days. The distance will close. I introduced my ducklings to my big ducks around this same age, and now my ducklings won’t leave my big ducks alone!! Occasionally, I’ll see the group split in 2, but every other time, they are together as 1.

Also, I have to say, it looks like Popcorn is flirting with Shrimp 🤣 That’s what the sideways head bobbing and reh-eh sound is; the girls point their heads away from their lover and towards other ducks.

This is great for 3 days. The distance will close. I introduced my ducklings to my big ducks around this same age, and now my ducklings won’t leave my big ducks alone!! Occasionally, I’ll see the group split in 2, but every other time, they are together as 1.

Also, I have to say, it looks like Popcorn is flirting with Shrimp 🤣 That’s what the sideways head bobbing and reh-eh sound is; the girls point their heads away from their lover and towards other ducks.
Good to hear that this distance is normal. If that's Popcorn flirting, she is a huge flirt! Since introducing her to the ducklings she does this non stop to me and the babies.

Back
Top Bottom