trying to guess processing date

cafrhe

Songster
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Western central NJ
I have 30 cornish cross who are 4 weeks and 3 days old today. I have 3 at 2lb 13oz, 6 at 3lb 13oz and the rest are in the 3-3.5lbs range. This is a little high according to the weight charts.

They get fed 12ish on and 12ish off and are in a hoop house with some lazy free ranging if I can get them out.

I am having someone else process them and thought the date would be close to 8 weeks. I do want 5-6lb dressed weight chickens. Does it look like I will get to that weight sooner than 8 weeks? I have to reserve a date and do not want to go too late and have birds start dying on me.

Are they pullets or cockerels? What are you feeding them?

I would stick with 8 weeks for convenience's sake. You probably won't get more than 6lbs of bird at 8 weeks regardless of other factors.

Usually, when pasture raising and free ranging, we have to let them go 10+ weeks to have 5-6lb birds, especially when raising pullets.

they are a mix of both. They have been getting flock raiser-20%. I am transitioning them to a 21% locally milled food.

I will say that while they are pastured, they are not moving too much. They are happy to eat and sit. Every once in a while there is a flapping of the wings before settling down to nap again.

That feed is pretty high protein at 4 weeks, usually by 3 weeks it's recommended to switch them onto 18% protein. That could be one of the reasons you're having faster gains. Sometimes we mix a little 14-16% hog mash (powder) in with a 20-21% feed to get a lower protein. The same can be done with a little cracked corn as well.

Cornish are always pretty lazy, but to encourage movement and slow down the growth rate, we have done 10 hours of feed and then 14 hours of no feed, while making sure that when they run out of feed in the evening we move them to fresh ground. This encourages them to forage in the evening, sleep, and then get fed in the morning.

Seriously though, I think you are on track for 5-6lb carcass weights at 8 weeks even at the rate yours are growing. I have not yet (in hundreds of birds) seen a bird on pasture that can get much larger than that, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

I do them at 7 weeks.....

I get a 4.75lb average with a few pushing 6 lbs. they are pastured and do forage some at least until I fill the feeders

Seems like the charts are off a bit, by my calculations I should be able to average over 4lbs at the 6 week mark.

I do them at 7 weeks.....

I get a 4.75lb average with a few pushing 6 lbs. they are pastured and do forage some at least until I fill the feeders

Seems like the charts are off a bit, by my calculations I should be able to average over 4lbs at the 6 week mark.

When you're mentioning weights, are you talking about live weight or carcass weight? We use the chart from Meyer:

But as with all things chicken, your-mileage-may-vary. We have different batches at different weights all the time. Right now I have birds at 6 weeks that are barely 2lbs, but they had a bought with cocci in the brooder. Sometimes I have birds at 6 weeks hit the 5lb mark. It really, really depends on a number of variables.

When you're mentioning weights, are you talking about live weight or carcass weight? We use the chart from Meyer: But as with all things chicken, your-mileage-may-vary. We have different batches at different weights all the time. Right now I have birds at 6 weeks that are barely 2lbs, but they had a bought with cocci in the brooder. Sometimes I have birds at 6 weeks hit the 5lb mark. It really, really depends on a number of variables.
I'm talking dressed weights..... My birds always seem to be heavier than the chart. I know what you mean about them being different, I haven't had any as small as the ones you have now though.

I did a lot of reading and got that 20% feed was good after chick starter.....I did notice the Meyers has 18% broiler. Obviously I can mix with my layer feed to get a lower percentage. I was going to keep them on the commercial food, but then talked to the guy I get layer food from (he grows it and mills it). He said the grower he mixes is good for broilers. And it is cheaper than Purina.

Have the different hatcheries developed their own versions of cornish crosses? Mine are from Moyer's and I am happy with their health so far. This is my 1st experience with meat birds and happy to have no casualties as of yet. They are healthy, but pretty ugly and short on feathers.

Have the different hatcheries developed their own versions of cornish crosses?  Mine are from Moyer's and I am happy with their health so far.  This is my 1st experience with meat birds and happy to have no casualties as of yet.  They are healthy, but pretty ugly and short on feathers.

There are a few different strains...

I got a batch from moyers, some have black spots. I had to call and make sure they were actually broilers as I've never seen or heard of a broiler with black spots.

She informed me they are part of the Cobb line and some present black spots.

Back
Top Bottom