ROYAL PALM TURKEY EXPERTS NEEDED---BOY OR GIRL?****ADDED NEW PICS****

zatsdeb

Songster
12 Years
Oct 2, 2007
Lincoln, Illinois
royal palm turkeys, both are starting to look the same, the pictures are of only 1 of them, I am wonder if I have 2 of the same sex!

HERE are the new pics added today..

turkeys8monthsold008.jpg

turkeys8monthsold009.jpg

turkeys8monthsold010.jpg

edited to put in age.... they are 8 months old.

febuary2009013.jpg

febuary2009014.jpg

febuary2009015.jpg

febuary2009016.jpg

Last edited:
I would say that you have two toms there. Though I could be wrong because I only have a tom myself but I do have other breeds and the females have a slightly different coloring than the males.

last year we had 3, and 2 were strutting, but 1 fell out of the tree in a bad storm and died, leaving 2. my husband says they have a thing on their chest if they are a tom. one does, I keep hoping that I have 1 of each.
or I will have to get another and send 1 on his way.

I have an 9 month old black spanish tom who gobbles his head off.
The snood and dewlap are much larger in toms with major caruncles . Hens have light feathering on the head . I think you have hens.

I only got one picture, the very first one in the first post..

those two look like hens to me..

Toms have wattles way down the front of their necks..

they are red wattles, until, they start to strutt.. then the wattles get blue..

I do not know if the hens display their tails like the tom does.. My oldest hen does not.. at least I have never seen her do it..

I sometimes wonder if there are toms and hens and neither/nor 's.

edit: a couple more pics just came up with the flared tails.. I am guessing hens.. at least I am positive they are both the same sex..

I have never seen a tom flare his tail horizotally like that... and without dropping his wings and strutting.. at any age..

of course, there are a lot of things I have never seen.. where is steve??

Last edited:
they were in the trees last night, and one was strutting, so I still think 1 is a Tom... Never saw them strutt in a tree??? like he was showing off.. I don't think hens do that but I have never had turkeys before. one is bright red on the red stuff, the other is pale pink...they are still young, I think they are 8 months, could be 7 months.. think I got them late august last year..??

Back
Top Bottom