Spraddle Leg Treatment for Feather Legged Chicks

suebee

Speaks Silkie Fluently
16 Years
Apr 1, 2007
N. Carolina
After an agonizing, painful and non successful use of the band-aid or tape method for spraddle or splayed legs on my newborn Silkie chick, DH came up with an idea that cured after just 24 hours. This method could be used for any breed of chick, especially feathered leg breeds.

Get an elastic hair band like in the picture below.

1208_march282010.jpg

Cut the metal part off. Tie the two open ends together securely. Cut a 2 inch piece of tape lengthwise. Twist the hair band several times in the middle and place the tape around the twist like below.

1208_march282010_013.jpg

Place each leg of the chick in the looped ends. In the pic it's hard to see the right side leg but you get the idea.

1208_march282010_009.jpg

I noticed the chick's corrected legs after 24 hours and removed the band. The chick walked perfectly after that. I'd just observe your chick each day to see how it's walking.

Last edited:
Thanks. Pulling that band-aid off- full of leg feathers with the chick just screaming it's head off traumatized us to the max. Never again.
This method worked GREAT!

Wow, very good idea. Older post, but with so many of us hatching right now this should float up again.

Mornin' All, Is 2 weeks old to late to try this.I've got a Sultan chick that I hatched. It's leg is sticking out behind the chick like a kickstand and kinda twisting it's foot up in the process. I wish I could but,I'm not good enough to make a teeny tiny hip brace for it.
idunno.gif
I got 3 chicks out of 6 eggs so I'm really disappointed that this happened. Do you think this idea might work for its problem or is 2 weeks to old to bother? I just had to put down a Sultan cockrel from a hatchery that had a locked knee\\leg problem too. I need to find out if that's just a Sultan thing. Plus out of 3 chicks I'm afraid it mite be the only girl too.
rant.gif
Please let me know if you think there's time to correct it .
fl.gif
Thanks!

I've bred show pigs for years and they also can experience spraddle leg problems. I found that if you cut vet wrap down to a small strip and twist several times to make a figure 8 it will make a kind of mold. I've used it on several chicks, clean leg and hairy and it worked well. Work it in your fingers and it will take the sticky off. You can adjust to the size by making extra twist to tighten on their little legs. Stays on well and cuts off easy. Worked wonders and didn't seem to bother the leg hair on the silkies.
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif
I have now started lining my hatcher and brooder with the rubber mats for cabinets and have had no spraddle leg!!! It works wonders and you can clean it with soapy water, throw them in the washer with a little bleach and reuse.

Oh thanks guys for bumping this up. I should have posted in diseases, conditions. Yes Hangin Wit My Peeps, Dh "invented" this version of a no-pain hobble so he gets the credit.
wink.png

Chicky Mama, I had a baby that was born with what your describing but unfortunately I had to cull. This method is for chicks who's legs are spread far apart and are sitting on their butts. By all means try it thought!

I know this hair band hobble cured my chick in only one day...it's as good as new, although I still might call it "Forest", as in "Run Forest Run!" from Forest Gump. Don't know if it's a girl or boy yet!
lol.png

Very good idea! It is awful when using the bandaids and it rips out their feathers.....gotta hurt!!! Poor things. This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom