Having trouble with chicks that have splayed leg

Hughzd

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2023
Hello, I have 6 ~2.5 week old chicks, with 3 breed total in a brooder. I have 2 lavender Orpington in the mix, which both looked and seemed perfectly healthy when I got them, but a few days ago I noticed they were both having some trouble standing and walking. I did a little research, and I think it’s splayed leg. One has it quite a bit worse than the other, but I have been treating them both by using some medical tape to connect their legs. I am not sure if this is working, and I came seeking advice because it seems as though it is only making it more difficult for them to walk. They both tend to sit back almost on their butts with their legs foreword, unlike the others. Every time they try to walk they trip and fall foreword, and sometimes it looks like they could get injured. Like I said, one is quite a bit worse than the other, having been almost completely unable to walk, whereas the other can get a few steps in. Both of them prefer sitting back, and I don’t know that I have ever seen them stand tall like the others. They are also both quite loud compared to the others, and I fear they have been getting trampled since they are just sitting around. I am also worried they may not be getting enough food or water, as they tend to just sit at the warm end of the brooder and rarely get up to eat or drink. Any advice? Am I doing the right thing? Are there any alternative treatments?

Try vitamin B complex. Often a B-vitamin deficiency can cause leg issues at this age. Go to any store that sells vitamins for people, grab a bottle of B-complex off the shelf, then drop a tablet in their water once a day. In a few weeks you should see improvement.

Back
Top Bottom