Turkey Illness, Need Help!

tanyizzle

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Saratoga County, NY
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Red Bourbon Turkey, Female, Maybe 10 months old, Normal sized.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Acting like it has a cold. It was 'coughing' kinda instead of its normal annoying noises, and now its face on one side is swollen.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Few weeks for the coughing, the swelling is new.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Nothing that I'm aware of.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Eating normal, a mix of purina flock grower, and cracked corn, along with the occasional treat.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Like poop.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

We have given 5 days in a row treatment of Durvet Duramycin 10 in its water supply. Not sure what to do now.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Ideally treat it ourself. Can you even bring a turkey to a vet? Like a normal vet?

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

This is a pic of its swollen side of its face. Other side looks normal. In this pic its doing its new 'im holding my wings out like a weirdo' pose that it started doing since it got sick.

M1VKA.jpg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Custom built coop. This is an older pic of the inside of it, but its a normal 4X16 coop with a run underneath it. She shares it with 14 chickens, however they've all lived together for several months, and we've had the turkey itself since spring.

Phx2e.jpg

I've had a few turkeys, and honestly I've never had one get sick. I popped in to say you may get more responses if you post this thread in the turkey section. I would think maybe some kinda of sinus or respiratory issue, but her holding her wings like that seems a little strange to me. Is she sitting down in the pic? If so, does she hold her wings like that when she is standing? Maybe something is stuck in her sinuses and is throwing her out of wack. Sorry I couldn't be me more helpful. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom