Histoplasmosis !!! Please read !!! Important for all !!

Any suggestions (as in better fit) for someone who previously had the bone under their eye socket broken?

My original coop is getting to that point again..And I hate to ask my roomate to do it..
The last time I did it, I didn't have any mask available and just used a bandana..

I ended up with spots from head to toe and still haven't fought off the upper respiratory thing..
Being practically broke financially and stubborn as well, I usually try my best to fight these things off on my own..

But I got some money for Christmas and think it would be good to get a decent mask for this job
smile.png

Thanks in advance
big_smile.png

Wow! That's pretty scary, I did not know that u could get a disease from cleaning out the coop. Thanks A ton for the message!!
smile.png
smile.png

This is a very good thread,,, thank you for referring me to it. I did look some stuff up on the internet and talked to a nurse who told me that you can get it with no symptoms and have it for years before you will know. It can range from not too serious to being on IV meds for years to ruining your life to death.

My concern is that People (I) could have it and not know. In the mean time it could be doing damage and pop up in a very bad way.

I also have arthritis and some asthma and who is to say I wasnt exposed to it a long time ago in leaves? These can be complications of histoplasmosis.

And then I have cleaned the coop before with no mask, but wont anymore. Whos to say I dont have it? Scary

I have Toxoplasmosis which is kin to Histo. Toxo only affect babies intrauterin so I was born with it. It caused scaring the Macula of both eyes, but the right is the worst. I found out later in life why I hate cats, they carry it. Anyway, glad you caught it in time and good advice as well.

I've heard that many people can get it and not even know it. Their body deals with it, and it's done. Very young children, older folks, and weak immune systems are the risk factors.

I would be catious, but not scared about it. It is treatable, and only very rarely does it become serious to the point of IV fluids, etc. VERY rarely. Everyone that gets a cold from now on after reading this thread is going to think they have histoplasmosis.

There are around 800 deaths a year from Histoplasmosis, and it's most common in the Northeast.

There are over 11,000 deaths a year from the flu (CDC actually says 36,000, but that's debatable).

40,000 a year die in America in car accidents. I spend a lot more time in my car than I do my chicken coop.

I just think people should remain calm, take precautions. It's not an outbreak, and most cases are fought off by the immune system and the person doesn't even know it.

Back
Top Bottom