Histoplasmosis !!! Please read !!! Important for all !!

How common is histoplasmosis?Infection with histoplasmosis is common, but the disease is rare. As many as 80 percent of persons living in U.S. areas where the fungus is common have a positive skin test, meaning they have had the infection in the past. However, most of these people do not have a history of histoplasmosis symptoms.

Is histoplasmosis an emerging infectious disease?
Yes. Histoplasmosis is on the rise, mainly because of the growing number of persons with weakened immune systems. These include persons with HIV infection, those who have had a bone marrow or organ transplant, and those receiving chemotherapy for cancer.

How can histoplasmosis be prevented?
It is not practical to test or decontaminate all areas that are known to be or might be contaminated with the histoplasmosis fungus, but these steps can reduce the risk of exposure:
Avoid areas where the fungus might be growing, especially areas with accumulations of bird or bat droppings. The fungus often grows around old chicken houses, in caves and other areas where bats live, and around starling and blackbird roosts.
Avoid disturbing accumulations of bat or bird droppings, and minimize exposure to dust in potentially contaminated sites. Before stirring up the soil, spray the area with a mist of water.
When working in high-risk areas, wear disposable clothing and a dust mask that covers the nose and mouth.

I have a good friend - supplier that it almost killed because they couldn't figure it out. After some testing they found it to be worse around chicks and young birds than the adults. Must be from the heat they require.

I am so glad you brought this to our attention.Thank you.
This is just the excuse I needed to buy a pair of those cute Rosie coveralls! and some new coop shoes!
Where is a good place to get the proper masks?

i smell that smell when im changing dirty shavings and cleanin the coop all the time
hmm.png
ive been doin it for 9years and im fine lol guess i got a good immunity system
idunno.gif

Good grief, I just cleaned my goat house and breathed a TON of dust and dried goat poopy. Thanks for posting all this info. I've always told DH if I get sick and they can't figure out whats wrong with me to tell them I have goats and chickens.

Quote:
Get a bonifide respirator and some goggle. Will suit you better.

If it gets into the lung, it can travel to the ocular nerve and cause blindness.

Seriously.

Take precations.

Mary

This is an interesting topic. I'd not heard of Histoplasmosis before now.

I grew up on and still live on an Ohio hill country farm where we've had all sorts of animals. My grandfather kept over 1000 laying hens caged in a large block building during the 50s and 60s. I played in the building as a child after it became the machine shop and have gardened with our animal manure. I don't know of anyone in my family with any lung issues, but I'll keep this in mind in case something shows up.

I have a lot of dust in my coop. It collects on everything and rubs off on me whenever I touch anything. I haven't had my coop long enough yet to have to clean out all the shavings. I will try to remember to open the windows and wear a mask when I do. Thanks.

It's one of those things where small and gradual exposure to the pathogens, like people growing up on farms would have received, can build up a lifelong immunity.

Take someone without the exposure and they can get hammered by this. And it can be lethal in some rare instances!!

I am in no way saying that "farmers are tougher" and "enthusiasts are weak". Just be very careful, learn the symptoms and get to a doctor sooner rather than later if you develop some of them.

Back
Top Bottom