Histoplasmosis !!! Please read !!! Important for all !!

Chicken Woman

Incredible Egg
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
Montana
I don't know if this has been talked about before but I wanted to warn you ! I was sick 4 weeks ago with severe like symptoms and trouble swallowing food. Then last Sunday I had 103 fever and flu systems again ! (I have had a flu shot) One of our BYC members answered a post from me asking if I could get sick from chickens. Told me to look up Histoplasmosis. I did and then called my doc. She did blood test and that is indeed what I have.
There is a fungus in every chicken area especially in the litter ! If you don't wear a mask anytimeyou stir up shavings or clean up poop you can inhale these fungus spores into your lungs !!!!!
sad.png

This can make you very sick and if your immune system is week it can cause major damage to organs like lungs and liver etc.

I am lucky that my immune system has been able to fight it off by itself with out any sign in my chest xray.

PLEASE BE VERY CARFULL WHEN IN THE COOP ! WHEN YOU CLEAN IT OPEN ALL DOORS AND WINDOWS !

WEAR A MASK !!!!!!!
wink.png
Stay healthy and protect yourself. It is most common in Central and eastern united states according to the CDC.
Google Histioplasmosis and there is alot of info.

WoW! Thanks for the warning! That sounds really nasty! I hope you are getting better really fast!
smile.png
Were the flu like systoms the aches & pains or vomiting & the runs?

I woke up in the middle of the night shivering. Had 103.2 fever, terrible headache,ache all over,weak, tired and developed a terrible non produactive cough. I am feeling better. Still a little worn out and some cough. Otherwise IM OK. This stuff can be really bad for someone who has a compromised ammune system (as in cancer,on chemo,aids etc.)

WEAR YOUR MASK !!!!!!
big_smile.png

Well thats good to know. I got sick resently and it was after I did all the coop cleanings. I was curious. We've had the face masks but havent worn them yet.

Wear the face masks and if you get dust or shavings on your cloths TAKE THEM OFF AT THE DOOR
I have been wearing a pair of coveralls and taking them off in the supply shed after IM done
I also do not wear the boots I wear in and around the coop anywhere else they stay out there !

Doctors Orders ! IM following them.

And be sure you wash your hands. Dont put your hands around your nose and mouth untill you have washed them.
I know I sound a bit crazy but i know how sick I was both times. I could barley get to the bathroom and back to my bed for the first 2 days !
sad.png
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom