Automatic Chicken Coop Door - Auto Closes Coop - Beta Version 1.0

Well, it happened again this morning. Chickens were out really early. Wife: nope. Mother next door: nope.

Went out to do some inspecting. The pin was pulled successfully but the door was hung up in the slider.

I'm going to add another layer of wax to the guides and the plastic and keep the pin oiled. A few months ago my notification flag broke off (the one that is reflective tape pointing at the house and signals to me if the door is open or closed when I shine a flashlight toward it). I'm going to replace it and do a better job of checking nightly that it close successfully.

The first 4 years we had chickens we went out every night to close them up. Now that I've got this auto closer I've become super lazy and spoiled.

I may create a whole new design, but this one works almost flawlessly. The two problems I have had could be permanently solved with relatively small fixes:

1) Lightweight door: I needed a lightweight door (plexiglass) because with a heavier door the pin couldn't be pulled. Also, when I used a heavier door I didn't like how hard it slammed closed. I do get worried that coons could just rip the door out of the frame since the plexiglass isn't very strong.

2) Pin sticks / doesn't pull: Related to the above, there was a time the pin didn't pull closed. I think using a higher amperage wall adapter could supply a lot more power to the actuator to pull any pin, even with a heavier door.

3) Door sticks: I could get or build a much better door with better guides and a better door.

While sitting around waiting on the internet service technician all day I've read all 22 pages of this post. Very interesting. Most of it was over my head but I enjoyed reading it and hopefully some of it will soak in.
I posted my own version today-Almost Automatic Door-Pop's version. I've got to re-install everything as I took it apart for the pictures but that won't take very long. All comments and suggestions appreciated.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=228498

Last edited by a moderator:
You could use one of the things that opens and closes a car window. It has enough torque, and it lifts a flat object straight up and down. It is 12 volt DC. And the motor with the scissor mechanism to lift the object is 69$ new at Ford.

MusicMan

Hey guys,

Me and my dad read this entire thread a few months back and decided to give it a go - well, me anyway!

So the result is an automatic chicken door opener, using a linear actuator bought from eBay, which slides the original door horizontally open and closed.

The brains behind the door is a picaxe chip, which takes in data from two light sensors in the run, and then decides upon the appropriate action - close at dusk, open at dawn.

Below is the door installed - still need to construct a surround so the birds can't peck at it:
Chicken_Door.jpg

Next step is to install a PIR sensor which will provide the picaxe with data about movement inside the run at night, and prevent the door from opening in the morning until the system has been re-set.

If there are any questions, let me know - I haven't said much about it, but not sure how interested people will be!!

Last edited:
Wow! Great job and I love the picture!

I know I'd be interested in as much info and pics as possible.
big_smile.png

I've looked at linear actuators on ebay and they seem pretty pricey (like over $60) did you find a good deal?

I think a lot of our members wouldn't know how to setup a picaxe based system, but I know many peeps are playing with photocell based systems with limit switches and relays.

Keep up the good work!

I got the actuator for about £23 delivered (currently US$37) - it was a lucky find, as I know when I've looked before they've been pretty pricey.

When we first got the chickens I designed an automatic door opener using only relays, magnetic switches and mechanical timers - I have it documented somewhere (unusual, as I was only about 17!!) and I'll post the info here too. That is picaxe free, but pretty fiddly - the picaxe just allows easier integration with all sorts of other electronics!

Anyway, got your PM boss, and I'll do my best for a write-up, and to post a fuller explanation on here...

Thanks!!

Hi tiiim,

Nice setup and picture. Just out of curiosity is that a Firgelli tubular actuator?

Also for anyone looking for an actuator I stumbled upon this awesome site, and found this one. It seems pretty nice as it is weatherproof, and strong, as it is meant to adjust satellites. It is only $34.95 and has a stroke of 18 inches. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Here is the link...

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/LA-3618/LINEAR-ACTUATOR-36V-18-/1.html

MusicMan

Yeah I know, plenty of power; I bet somebody could lift their entire coop with that
wink.png
. At least if you wire it right, you know that no animal could lift it up.

Yes, I wish their were just some cheap ones out there. This is the best I could find though my top three fav things about it are:

Cheap(er than alot)
18 inches of stroke
Weather proof and dust proof(
smile.png
)

MusicMan

Back
Top Bottom