Anyone know a good breeder/hatchery for BBS orpingtons? I live in the Blackfoot, ID (eastern) area if that makes any difference. Would it be better to wait until spring to start my flock?
Hatchery for BBS Orpingtons
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickens
Provided you are set up to brood them now, there is no reason to wait - they can move out to the coop and survive the winter just fine once they have feathered out (grew up in Idaho - though I was more a bit north of you in central mountain area near McCall). There are some advantages to starting them now.
Are you looking for birds just to have or are you wanting birds for breeding/exhibition/furthering the breed?
If you are wanting to breed to SOP then you would be better served to source from a breeder rather than a hatchery. Are you looking more for the English type or American type? A good way to find someone who has the type of bird you are looking to have in your own lines is to attend poultry shows - this allows you to see the birds being produced by various breeders and identify those you want to work with. It looks like there is a show coming up on Halloween if you are up to a little bit of a road trip: http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Idaho.html
Another alternative is to reach out to the other members in your area by visiting the "local" thread for your state in the http://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you area. Fellow chicken fanatics are a great way to network and find someone who knows someone that has the birds you are looking for. I'd also suggest taking a look here: http://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16188/exhibition-genetics-breeding-to-the-standard-of-perfection for threads regarding Orpingtons as it is a great way to start to get a feel for who is working towards the same goals as you - even if they are not geographically close to you it's a starting point and a chance for more of that networking!
I would rather get them from a breeder than from a hatchery. However, not having a lot of luck finding the BBS Orpingtons for sale right now. Especially as I don't have an incubator and so need live chicks. I think I will continue trying to find some from a breeder until spring. If by then I haven't found any, I'll probably just get some from the local feed store. Thanks for the input.