New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Could this be Marek's disease ?

post #1 of 3
Thread Starter 
I got a lovely new Bantam hen at the start of Oct. 4 days ago i noticed that she wasnt very well she had some mucus around her nose so the vet advised me to give her an injection of Baytrail but after giving her the 1ml (25mg Baytrail ) I relased that the dose was totally wrong it should of been 0,1ml..... I also noticed she had scaly legs so i washed them with mite/flee shampoo and than put antimite drops in cocconut oil all over her legs . She was standing as if in pain so over the next few days i have repeated the treatment on her legs daily .Unfortunately two days ago she couldnt stand up anymore and im not sure if this is because of the overdose or something else... i dont know what to do .. any advise would be greatly appreciated
post #2 of 3

Where did you give the shot--in the breast muscle, in the leg, or under the skin in the back of the neck? I would keep her quarantined away from any other poultry you have in case she has a chronic respiratory disease, or something else. A minimum of 30 days is good for quarantine. Since she is ill, she may need some extra warmth such as a heat lamp, or brought inside. Mareks presents with many different symptoms, and can be confused with vitamin deficiency, weakness from dehydration or coccidiosis, and other problems, such as moldy feed, lead poisoning, and botulism. I doubt if the Baytril overdose caused a problem itself unless it was injected into the leg causing nerve inflammation. I would make sure that she is taking her normal feed, water with some SaveAChick or Rooster Booster  vitamins and electrolytes. Add a little chopped egg and a tiny bit of plain yogurt. Hopefully this is just a temporary illness. Here is some read about Mareks and common respiratory diseases:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf

post #3 of 3
Thread Starter 
Thank you very much ! I gave her the injection into the breast muscle . I have already given her hard boiled egg ! Should I add an antibiotic to her drinking water ? I'll add supplements to her food tomorrow ! She's not eating much sad.png .....fingers crossed Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home