adult pekin female with splayed legs and difficulty walking -- ideas, advice?

micaelasducks

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Hi all!
I took in a female pekin this past september (so 5 months ago). She was adopted from the SPCA and the only information I had is that it was some kind of animal hoarder situation. I assume her diet was probably not ideal. She started laying eggs in early January -- so that makes us think she is a very young duck, perhaps less than a year old still, but we really don't know. She has walked with a limp since we got her but has steadily improved up until this past week where she has regressed in her walking. She is sitting with her legs totally splayed out -- more splayed than usual -- and is having trouble getting herself to a standing position. I wanted to share some videos and pictures to see if anyone had any ideas on how to best support her. We are making sure to include brewers yeast in her diet and we also have been giving her some meloxicam for the last couple days in case there is a new injury. Any other thoughts from the way her legs are presenting?

IMG_6174.PNG
Older photo from about October to show her easily standing/supporting weight on legs.
IMG_6167.PNG
Photo from about a week ago showing preference/lean towards one leg and large hock joints. BUT still easily supporting weight.

Video showing her hips/legs splayed out and difficulty getting to feet (taken tonight)

Video showing her instability on her legs/feet.

she’s beautiful and how kind of you to rescue her. Get her started on liquid vitamin B complex. In addition to the yeast the extra niacin can work wonders I buy Durvet brand liquid vitamin B complex at tractor supply or online. it will say it’s injectable for cattle but you give it orally to a duck. You can put it on some treats like mealworms. Make sure she gets it all .. I usually give it with a syringe with no needle if you know how to give medication orally to waterfall without aspirating them, if not read the article in here in the learning center titled how to give medicine to all poultry and waterfowl . Pekin ducks are notorious for leg problems and need continued extra niacin throughout their life.

she’s beautiful and how kind of you to rescue her. Get her started on liquid vitamin B complex. In addition to the yeast the extra niacin can work wonders I buy Durvet brand liquid vitamin B complex at tractor supply or online. it will say it’s injectable for cattle but you give it orally to a duck. You can put it on some treats like mealworms. Make sure she gets it all .. I usually give it with a syringe with no needle if you know how to give medication orally to waterfall without aspirating them, if not read the article in here in the learning center titled how to give medicine to all poultry and waterfowl . Pekin ducks are notorious for leg problems and need continued extra niacin throughout their life.
Thank you!!! We will get some. She is still struggling today but hoping for the best.

Oh ! and also give her therapy time in the water> swimming time :) if its too cold outside (below freezing) I would bring her inside to the tub with lukewarm water and you can even give her a soak in epsom salts water but if u do that then don't let her drink any she'll get diarrhea

Oh ! and also give her therapy time in the water> swimming time :) if its too cold outside (below freezing) I would bring her inside to the tub with lukewarm water and you can even give her a soak in epsom salts water but if u do that then don't let her drink any she'll get diarrhea
sound like you've experienced this before do you ducks like salty water?

sound like you've experienced this before do you ducks like salty water?
they do try to drink it yes lol
I now use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and about 1/4 of the lid cut out for them to stick their head out , but not to be able to jump out. this way the legs and feet get soaked but they cant bend down to drink any.... that is just for epsom water soaking but not for swim therapy

they do try to drink it yes lol
I now use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and about 1/4 of the lid cut out for them to stick their head out , but not to be able to jump out. this way the legs and feet get soaked but they cant bend down to drink any.... that is just for epsom water soaking but not for swim therapy
I've heard of a similar treatment for bumble foot in chickens

Back
Top Bottom