BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Predators and Pests › Lost a chicken to a dog
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lost a chicken to a dog - Page 2

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseychicken View Post
 

Thanks all for the advice.  I have spoken with the dog owner and have come to an acceptable agreement.  Everything was kept polite and civil.

That's Great!!

Many won't accept responsibility. 

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what did they give you?....might help others down the road researching this issue.

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 

I don't mind sharing.  We agreed to $50.  She was surprised it wasn't more actually.  She was expecting to pay for the visit to the vet.  But the vet was very nice and didn't charge for the visit or the euthanasia.  Based on what I paid for the chickens, the expensive organic feed I have been providing, and various other expensive treats, I feel that number was fair.  This is our first time raising chickens and as such we have probably been spending more than the average person would on their birds but it is what it is.

post #13 of 18

Sounds good and really nice from the vet not to charge you! Here most people would have grabbed the next solid stick, beat the chicken to death, rip it apart and quickly barbecue it. 


Edited by dickhuhn - 1/20/16 at 9:52am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseychicken View Post
 

I don't mind sharing.  We agreed to $50.  She was surprised it wasn't more actually.  She was expecting to pay for the visit to the vet.  But the vet was very nice and didn't charge for the visit or the euthanasia.  Based on what I paid for the chickens, the expensive organic feed I have been providing, and various other expensive treats, I feel that number was fair.  This is our first time raising chickens and as such we have probably been spending more than the average person would on their birds but it is what it is.

I'm glad you and your neighbor were able to work things out civilly. Yours was a much different situation than the roaming neighbor dogs where the owner can claim, "It wasn't my dog" and no one has proof either way. She was standing right there. If I were her, I'd have been mortified. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickhuhn View Post
 

Sounds good and really nice from the vet not to charge you! Here most people would have grabbed the next solid stick, beat the chicken to death, rip it apart and quickly barbecue it. 

In other words, "Whacked it once and put it out if its misery within seconds, cut it up and had a nice fresh meal of chicken so as not to let the meat go to waste." Hmm, kinda makes me want chicken for dinner... :drool :gig

Chickens off and on for 25+ years and still learning.

Reply

Chickens off and on for 25+ years and still learning.

Reply
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 

The dog owner felt really bad about the whole situation.  I am just glad we were able to settle it without some neighbor feud erupting. 

 

I think in normal situations I would have just dispatched with the chicken myself.  My wife was home alone and couldn't tell how bad the injuries were.  She didn't want to kill the thing if it was a survivable attack.  So, she ran it to the vet (probably an easier decision since the dog owner indicated that she would pay for any vet bills).

post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseychicken View Post
 

The dog owner felt really bad about the whole situation.  I am just glad we were able to settle it without some neighbor feud erupting. 

 

I think in normal situations I would have just dispatched with the chicken myself.  My wife was home alone and couldn't tell how bad the injuries were.  She didn't want to kill the thing if it was a survivable attack.  So, she ran it to the vet (probably an easier decision since the dog owner indicated that she would pay for any vet bills).

I wouldn't have killed it myself, either (that's why I keep DH around - I can order a hit, but he carries it out for me :)) I'm more of a fixer, myself. But I have also kept (or tried to keep) animals alive that would have been far better off if they'd have been put out of their misery right away. I'm not saying your wife shouldn't have taken it to the vet. I wouldn't have gone that far, but I would have probably tried to give it a chance first, too. My comment about giving a chicken a whack to put it out of its misery within seconds was not directed toward you or your wife. Just pointing out that taking a stick, whacking it once, cutting it up and eating it right away isn't necessarily a bad thing. We all have to do what we feel is best for our birds. It was kind of your vet to euthanize yours free of charge.

 

And again, I'm very glad you avoided a neighbor feud. Those can get ugly real fast. 

Chickens off and on for 25+ years and still learning.

Reply

Chickens off and on for 25+ years and still learning.

Reply
post #17 of 18
Glad u reached an agreement. I am sure the dog owner felt bad and you might have taught them a great lesson and save some child from being mauled.
post #18 of 18
Something that makes difference according to jurisdiction and as to whether chicken valued for a specific purpose. Compensation can also vary with actions of the offending owner.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/dog-book/chapter9-6.html

Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it.

 

 

Reminder to self: August 2021 Check Post #15852 in Show Off Your American Gamefowl

Reply

Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it.

 

 

Reminder to self: August 2021 Check Post #15852 in Show Off Your American Gamefowl

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Predators and Pests
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Predators and Pests › Lost a chicken to a dog