New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mold in the run

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
New flock owner. I move my feeder and waterer from the coop to the run everyday. I just set them on the ground. Well, where I set the feeder, mold started growing. I moved it to a new spot, and will place pavers today to set them on. But what do I do about the mold?! I relocated the feeders yesterday and doused the area with water and the mold is back this morning. How do I get rid of jt?
post #2 of 4
Fluff the area up a bit to let the light and air at it. The mould you have growing there is one that likes the conditions underneath a feeder, so make the environment into one that it doesn't like.
post #3 of 4
I agree. Expose it to light and air it out, let it dry if you can. It is true that certain molds can be injurious or even fatal to chickens, yet chickens love to scratch in dead leaves, compost piles, and other things that are moldy. Most molds don’t hurt them. I’ve seen an estimate that there are over 300,000 different kinds of molds. Some are beneficial, they may fight bacteria. Some are used to make certain cheeses. But some can certainly cause problems.

I don’t know of any rule of thumb to tell if a mold is dangerous or not. One to be very scared of is mold in feed, consider moldy feed pure poison. But I really don’t get excited about molds like you are describing, they have not yet caused a problem for me or the chickens. Still, try to dry it out and get rid of it. It’s the prudent thing to do.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

 

"If you make every game a life-and-death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot." — former North Carolina coach Dean Smith

 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

Reply

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

 

"If you make every game a life-and-death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot." — former North Carolina coach Dean Smith

 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

Reply
post #4 of 4
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys! Doesn't look a harmful mold to me but definitely want to get it gone. Will take and take a box fan out there and try to really dry it out. Hot humid Louisiana sun might not be enough.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Managing Your Flock