BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Feeding & Watering Your Flock › homemade Purina flock block
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

homemade Purina flock block - Page 25

post #241 of 291

I can't wait to start baking tomorrow!!!


Edited by spacecowgirl - 8/28/11 at 7:58pm
post #242 of 291

Could you put BOSS in a block?

post #243 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Have-Happy-Hens 

Could you put BOSS in a block?


Yes you can, my chickens love Boss in the winter so will be adding it to my block, summer time I guess theres to much other goodies out there.  smile

Living in the Beautiful Mountains of Western N.C.. with 16 chickens= EE's, Game, Cochin bantams,Light Brahma,  Black Australorps . 13Muscovy ducks, 1 Embden Gander,2 Toulouse geese 1 American Buff, 3 mini Dachshunds, 1 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..
Reply
Living in the Beautiful Mountains of Western N.C.. with 16 chickens= EE's, Game, Cochin bantams,Light Brahma,  Black Australorps . 13Muscovy ducks, 1 Embden Gander,2 Toulouse geese 1 American Buff, 3 mini Dachshunds, 1 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..
Reply
post #244 of 291

My Silkies love the Purina Flock blocks and they weould be lost without them, best part is they last and last!  They come on sale once or twice a year for 5$ instead of 10.00 so I buy 20 of them.


Edited by pistol123 - 9/17/11 at 11:00am
Home of show Boston Terrier's and beautiful Silkie Chickens......
Reply
Home of show Boston Terrier's and beautiful Silkie Chickens......
Reply
post #245 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol123 

My Silkies love the Purina Flock blocks and they weould be lost without them, best part is they last and last!  They come on sale once or twice a year for 5$ instead of 10.00 so I buy 20 of them.


20 ep   how long will 20 last?

Living in the Beautiful Mountains of Western N.C.. with 16 chickens= EE's, Game, Cochin bantams,Light Brahma,  Black Australorps . 13Muscovy ducks, 1 Embden Gander,2 Toulouse geese 1 American Buff, 3 mini Dachshunds, 1 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..
Reply
Living in the Beautiful Mountains of Western N.C.. with 16 chickens= EE's, Game, Cochin bantams,Light Brahma,  Black Australorps . 13Muscovy ducks, 1 Embden Gander,2 Toulouse geese 1 American Buff, 3 mini Dachshunds, 1 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..
Reply
post #246 of 291

I'm fixing to raid the kitchen and cook my birdies something good! I have been wanting to buy those flock blocks, but I do good keeping them fed smile

Wife to a Patient Loving Husband, Mother to 6 children and 3 Grandchildren.  Breeders of Black, Blue, Blue Partridge, Partridge, Buff, Paint, Porcelain, Splash, White and AOV Silkies.  www.elitesilkies.com
Reply
Wife to a Patient Loving Husband, Mother to 6 children and 3 Grandchildren.  Breeders of Black, Blue, Blue Partridge, Partridge, Buff, Paint, Porcelain, Splash, White and AOV Silkies.  www.elitesilkies.com
Reply
post #247 of 291

OK, I did this.  I took several pieces of stale ( whole wheat ) bread, soaked them with oats, birdseed, raisins, carrot pieces, peanut butter, olive oil, egg shell, etc....

Nuked it in the microwave, off and on, for about 15 minutes.  It was rock hard.  I iced it with peanut butter on the top and brought it down to the coop.

The chickens were terrified of it!!!  They ran around like I'd planted a bomb in their pen.  I wound up throwing it out for the sake of their sanity...

hmm

post #248 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowgirl 

OK, I did this.  I took several pieces of stale ( whole wheat ) bread, soaked them with oats, birdseed, raisins, carrot pieces, peanut butter, olive oil, egg shell, etc....

Nuked it in the microwave, off and on, for about 15 minutes.  It was rock hard.  I iced it with peanut butter on the top and brought it down to the coop.

The chickens were terrified of it!!!  They ran around like I'd planted a bomb in their pen.  I wound up throwing it out for the sake of their sanity...

hmm


yuckyuck

Living in the Beautiful Mountains of Western N.C.. with 16 chickens= EE's, Game, Cochin bantams,Light Brahma,  Black Australorps . 13Muscovy ducks, 1 Embden Gander,2 Toulouse geese 1 American Buff, 3 mini Dachshunds, 1 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..
Reply
Living in the Beautiful Mountains of Western N.C.. with 16 chickens= EE's, Game, Cochin bantams,Light Brahma,  Black Australorps . 13Muscovy ducks, 1 Embden Gander,2 Toulouse geese 1 American Buff, 3 mini Dachshunds, 1 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..
Reply
post #249 of 291

Hi all and thanks for all the recipes! We had a little spring clean and found a bunch of expired bits and pieces - so into the flock blocks went:

almond meal - a little
hazelnut meal
wheat - 2 cups
pistachios - a handful
soup mix - 2 cups
nibble mix - one bag (pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds and such such)
poppyseeds - about a cup
raisins - two boxes
chopped dates - big bag
some other smashed nuts
udon noodles - four packs
flour - 2 cups
oatmeal - 1 cup
polenta meal - 2 cups
dark corn syrup - 1/2 cup (I couldn't find the molasses)
eggs - 6
coconut oil - 1/2 cup (melted)

and probably lots of other things I've forgotten.

I pressed these hard into trays that were very well greased with more coconut oil. The mix was lovely and firm, easily holding shape when pressed into a ball. Into the oven for at 160 degrees for 90 minutes for the muffins, then I turned it down to around 130 and baked the larger blocks for a further hour or so. They came out only very slightly pressable/springy, then dried nicely hard.

The chooks were keen out of the gates. They take about a half day to a day to eat a muffin sized block, so I'm really happy with them.

Here they are in the oven:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6189/6158297384_6f35279585.jpg

post #250 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirler 

Hi all and thanks for all the recipes! We had a little spring clean and found a bunch of expired bits and pieces - so into the flock blocks went:

almond meal - a little
hazelnut meal
wheat - 2 cups
pistachios - a handful
soup mix - 2 cups
nibble mix - one bag (pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds and such such)
poppyseeds - about a cup
raisins - two boxes
chopped dates - big bag
some other smashed nuts
udon noodles - four packs
flour - 2 cups
oatmeal - 1 cup
polenta meal - 2 cups
dark corn syrup - 1/2 cup (I couldn't find the molasses)
eggs - 6
coconut oil - 1/2 cup (melted)

and probably lots of other things I've forgotten.

I pressed these hard into trays that were very well greased with more coconut oil. The mix was lovely and firm, easily holding shape when pressed into a ball. Into the oven for at 160 degrees for 90 minutes for the muffins, then I turned it down to around 130 and baked the larger blocks for a further hour or so. They came out only very slightly pressable/springy, then dried nicely hard.

The chooks were keen out of the gates. They take about a half day to a day to eat a muffin sized block, so I'm really happy with them.

Here they are in the oven:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6189/6158297384_6f35279585.jpg


Looking good enough to eat!! thumbsup

Living in the Beautiful Mountains of Western N.C.. with 16 chickens= EE's, Game, Cochin bantams,Light Brahma,  Black Australorps . 13Muscovy ducks, 1 Embden Gander,2 Toulouse geese 1 American Buff, 3 mini Dachshunds, 1 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..
Reply
Living in the Beautiful Mountains of Western N.C.. with 16 chickens= EE's, Game, Cochin bantams,Light Brahma,  Black Australorps . 13Muscovy ducks, 1 Embden Gander,2 Toulouse geese 1 American Buff, 3 mini Dachshunds, 1 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feeding & Watering Your Flock
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Feeding & Watering Your Flock › homemade Purina flock block