Homemade flock block recipes

heres the one i make...it sets up real hard...they love it!..

10638_2008_12060149.jpg
Care to share the recipe?

Quote:

hi..here is the recipe..

Ingredients:..Bread slices, wild bird seed,Black sun flower seeds, (you can also use scratch, oatmeal, wheat germ, grits, whatever you want to use!..)

In a large mixing bowl..wet the bread slices..add the seed and scratch..(whatever you choose to add)...mix all the ingredients together(with your hands)..the wet bread is the binder..it makes a kind of dough....grease a microwave safe baking pan...add the bread/seed mixture to the pan...press down tightly with a spatula...put in microwave oven for 5 minutes..keep testing hardness with finger(it will take about 20 minutes total...)...when you feel it is hard enough..take out and let cool...it will harden even more...if you greased the pan enough..it will pop right out of the pan in one solid block..they love it!
I know this is an old post but i went with your method and my flock blocks were perfection!!! Thank you soooo much:love

I realize this is an older thread. I have been thinking of making some flock blocks for my birds so I am planning on doing some experiments. I want to make the blocks hard so they will last longer. I have read this whole thread and have some ideas of what I'm going to try to bind everything together in addition to researching other websites for ideas. I want to make larger blocks like the Purina Flock Blocks. Getting the ingredients together. I have some older different flours in my pantry I plan on using as a binder. I hope they work out. Finishing my holiday baking. I do buy the Purina flock blocks once in a great while but I have to buy several and it gets a bit costly. Now I have to find large enough containers to make them in.

Got my flock block ingredients together now so now it's time to incorporate everything and put it in a pan and I'm going to put it in the oven. We will see...

I put it in the oven. It's kind of a nasty day out so a good day for baking even though it's for the birds. It will be a few hours before I will know if it worked out ok.

I took the flock block out of the oven and it appears to be a bit crumbly. I have another one in the oven now. I altered my recipe and hopefully this one will be harder. I'll keep trying until I get it right.

I took the flock block out of the oven and it appears to be a bit crumbly. I have another one in the oven now. I altered my recipe and hopefully this one will be harder. I'll keep trying until I get it right.
I also have been thinking of making some small blocks/treats. I have 2 chickens that I think a block would be good for but store one is too big. I bought the Purina flock block for the 5 in my other coop and it is not disappearing as quick as I thought it would.

I wouldn't be making flock blocks but I have a lot of birds and thought it would be fun to try. The first one looks to be a bit crumbly but the second one looks to be harder. I left them in the pans overnight and going to see for sure how they turned out.

I took them out of the pans and they stayed together but neither was as hard as I would have liked.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom