Homemade flock block recipes

I'm sorry, I think I missed something. Can you share proportions again? I'm new, and I'd like something I can put out for my chickens and ducks.

Since a Flock Block at TSC is now almost $13 i think i am gonna try making my own. Since i dont have an oven atm it is going to be the lard or gelatin version im thinking.

We were in the store Friday night and they had suet blocks on sale for 79 cents so i wanted to get some for the chickens but my SO said no they dont need suet thats for wild birds, it will make them sick. Maybe he will change his mind after i start buying the "flock Block" ingredients lol.

Side note: If anyone does use alot of Suet blocks for chickens/wild birds whatever TSC is going to be having a sale on them 12 for $8. Just go to their website and click on the "Sneak Peek" banner on the top of the site then you can view the ads for Turkey day sale and black friday etc....FYI their black friday sale starts on Thursday online only.

*edited for typos*
th.gif

Last edited:
My biggest question is how to convince hubby to let us have chickens in the first place.  I watch all these posts yearningly.  Also,  we have no car.  Does anyone make and deliver coops?  Do you just keep hoping for something on craigslist?

Have much to do in the meantime though.  Back fence is done.  Have to make up a makeshift fence that I can do.

Can I wait and wait and wait until Spring of 2010?  Yikes.

Thanks all for being here

There's a guy from cedartown, Ga that has a web site I believe it's www.davidscoops.com
Or it's chicken coops. But I would just google it.

I made 2 different kinds. One savoury and one sweet. They like both but like the sweet one better.

I thought I'd put in my 2¢.

Scratch Block for Chickens

4 cups scratch grains
2 cups wild birdseed
2 cups of sunflower seeds
2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 cup oyster shells (optional)
1 cup raisins (optional)
4 eggs
1 cup molasses
1 cup lard, melted

1. In a large bowl, mix together scratch grains, birdseed, oatmeal and raisins.
  2. Add eggs, molasses and lard and stir until fully combined.
  3. Line a bread pan or cake pan with aluminum foil.
  4. Press seed mix into pan and level surface with a spatula.
  5. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
  6. Allow to cool completely before removing from pan.

I just made similiar blocks, however, didn't use eggs. I froze the blocks instead of baking. Did you bake because you used eggs or ?

I thought I'd put in my 2¢.

Scratch Block for Chickens

4 cups scratch grains

2 cups wild birdseed
    2 cups of sunflower seeds

2 cups uncooked oatmeal

1 cup oyster shells (optional)

1 cup raisins (optional)

4 eggs

1 cup molasses

1 cup lard, melted

1. In a large bowl, mix together scratch grains, birdseed, oatmeal and raisins.
  2. Add eggs, molasses and lard and stir until fully combined.
  3. Line a bread pan or cake pan with aluminum foil.
  4. Press seed mix into pan and level surface with a spatula.
  5. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
  6. Allow to cool completely before removing from pan.

Back
Top Bottom