Homemade supplemental winter goodies for my 6 chickens using dehydrated veggies

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Hello! This winter in CT I have been growing chives and oregano in the windowsill. I chop them up, dehydrate them and add them to a supplemental treat i have stored in the refrigerator. When i purchased kale and it started to get a little wilty, i dehydrated that too. It dries into little bite size flakes and they really enjoy it. Heres my recipe. Feedback welcome!
5 cups Dry Ingredients:
* black oil sunflower seeds
* cracked corn
* rolled oats
* whole oats
* 1 cup flax seeds (high in protein)
* 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
* 1 Tablespoon dried Oregano
* 1/2 cup flour
** mix all dry ingredients well
Wet Ingredients:
* 3/4 cup warmed coconut oil
* 1 cup molassas
* 3 eggs + the shells
** add wet and dry and mix thoroughly. I then fill little muffin pans and bake on 350 for maybe 30 minutes. My results were little muffins thats were the texture of a flock block. They were a little too hard, so i used my chopper, and offer a few tablespoons on different surfaces in the run. After dehydrating the kale and chives, i added the flakes to the mixture and now some green is in there. They love the little green parts. I store this in the refrigerator or freezer. This recipe lasted about a month or 2 for my 6 chickens this winter. I will make it again and plan to add other dehydrated goodies like peas, cranberries, celery and carrots. 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom