good idea! And for that matter, I'm sure you can think of tons of heavy things to weigh down the fence materials and avoid any permanent change to the property. @mishka
Edited by TurksPoultry - 4/16/16 at 1:02pm
Hey La-yers! I've been really busy lately and haven't been online much. Hope everyone and their flocks are doing well.......my flock not so much.
We started 2 years ago with 10 birds( 5 RIR and 5 BR) from a hatchery and all went well the first year or so until I added a few birds from local swaps, etc. That's when the problems started. Over this past winter some of my birds started showing symptoms of some type of respiratory issue. Bubbly eyes, wheezing, sneezing, and some gasping for air at times. We didn't lose any birds so I kind of thought it would be OK to just treat the birds I had with Tylan and VetRx when the symptoms flared up and it seemed to work. That was in November and December, I figured it had worked it's way through the flock and we could hopefully move on. We decided in February to add some chicks and possibly start a breeding program all the while knowing in the back of my head that I was probably making a big mistake adding to a flock that already had health issues. Honestly, I feel pretty darn stupid right now because I went against my gut feeling and got more chicks anyway.
Fast forward to now.........The respiratory thing has flared up again and it's affecting a lot of the young birds we have (8 week olds) as well as some of our layers. Egg production is down and I'm tired of treating sick chickens all of the time. My wife an I are contemplating whether or not we are going to have to cull our entire flock and wait a while and start over. I don't think it's worth having a necropsy done because whatever it is keeps coming back and It's not going away. I really just wanted to vent a little and I figured y'all would understand. Thanks for reading
Thank you Pam. I think I'll give the state vet here in BR a call tomorrow and see what he thinks. As far as the scabs you are talking about, I have not seen that. Mainly puffy eyes, bubbly eyes, sneezing, and some gasping. You are right about bio-security.......everyone told me that including the state vet when he came out and did my NPIP testing. I just figured it wouldn't happen to me but boy was I wrong!
At this point, I think culling the flock is inevitable but you're right, I need to know if and how long I need to wait before starting a new flock. If they were laying good I probably wouldn't mind keeping them and just treating as the symptoms arise but production is down. Only getting 6 eggs a day off of 15 layers. I don't think it's right to just keep sick chickens forever and have them suffer. I'll let you know what he says. Thanks