Originally Posted by NYREDS
I'll tell you what it means to me.
I do not vaccinate for anything that way yes, the birds I raise are exposed to various pathogens. I also do not medicate for anything other than cocci but that's for a separate discussion. If a bird shows signs of disease it is culled immediately, no matter how good a prospect it appeared to be.
I have followed this program for a number of years and as a result I rarely have a sick bird because I am breeding only from birds with natural disease resistance.
I learned of this program of breeding for resistance from the writing of Fred Jeffrey who, among other things, wrote a book on chicken diseases. In the beginning of the book Dr Jeffrey stated that his chicken medicine cabinet consisted only of louse powder, a coccidiostat & a hatchet. That's all I have in mine.
I love to hear that others here on BYC that follow the old school type rememedies. I like to think using different lines within a breed strengthens my birds from the everyday horrible diseases that plague the line breeders.
My worst experience was from hatchery stock that had been obviously been inbred too long. And I agree, the weak will die and the strong lives on. That is how mother natures works.
I had another BYC member a year or so forward me these remedies that are also Old School cures. Lots of neat info.
I know in the past when I posted these, some appreciated it. hope some out there get the same enjoyment from these ideas.
Thought I'd share.
Cod liver oil (for vitamin D deficiency)
- Oyster shell grit (for digestion)
- Dried crushed pumpkin seeds (Worms)
- Garlic (Worms, chest infection)
- Apple Cider vinegar (Worm and tonic, better calcium and Vit.D absorption)
- Cat food (protein)
- Tuna (protein)
- Egg yolk (protein)
- Honey (energy)
- Yoghurt (digestive tract)
- Grated apple (mineral and vitamin; coccidiosis)
- Baby rice/oats (Bulking in food mix)
- Back rescue remedy (Trauma)
- Orange, Rosemary, clove oils (fleas)
- Wormwood, tansy (immune booster)
- Olive oil (Sour crop, crop binding)
- Probiotics (harmful microbes)
- Baking soda (Crop flush - mix 1/2 cup in a pint of water and syringe it 3 x)
- Nettle (tonic)
- Vaseline (Scaly legs, frostbite, cut)
- Cayenne pepper (worm, coccidiosis)
- Colloidal silver (Anti fungal/viral/microbial)
- Sulphur dust (lice)
- Whey powder (Coccidiosis)
- Chickweed (Immune booster)
- Oregano oil (Immune booster)
- Peppermint, catnip, marigold oil (mite repellent)
- Diatamacious Earth or DE (Calcium, wormer, mite, prevent fly from hatching)
- Vitamin E oil (Molting stress, fertility problems)
- Hypericum (pain relief, nerve damage, stress and Marek)
- Cornstarch (cut)
- Pine tar (cannibalism)
- Black sunflower seeds (Worm)
Or per ailments, this gives us:
*Vit. D deficiency: Cod liver oil, ACV
*Tonic: ACV, grated apple, nettle
* Calcium defi ciency: AVC, Oyster shel l, DE, Crushed eggshell
* Protein deficiency: Cat food, tuna, egg yolk
* Energy boost: honey
*Immune boost: Wormwood, Tansy, probiotics, colloidal silver, chickweed, oregano oil
*Digestion problem: Oyster grit, yoghurt
*Bulk for medicine: Baby rice, baby oat
*Sour crop: Olive oil
*Crop binding: Olive oil
*Crop flush: Baking soda
*Worm: Pumpkin Seeds, garlic, ACV, cayenne pepper, DE, Black sunflower seeds
*Fleas: Orange/Rosemary/Clove oils
*Lice: Sulphur powder
*Mites: Peppermint, catnip, marigold oil, DE as repellent
*Chest infection: garlic water
*Coccidiosis: Grated apple, cayenne pepper, whey powder
* Marek: Hypericum (I think it is the same as St John's wort)
*Trauma: Bach Flower Rescue Remedy
*Cut: Vaseline, cornstarch, pine tar
*Scaly leg: Vaseline
*Molting stress: All protein stuff, Vit. E
*Fertility: Vitamin E
*Pain relief: Hypericum
*Nerve damage: Hypericum