To those who are interested in my "eating habits": It was at an EMT convention, and the presenter was from poison control. He deals with various poisons daily, and passed around a packet of d-con. He assured us that it was safe, while he ate a few pellets during his presentation. I tried a few, along with many of my fellow EMT's. Tasted kind of bland, but not bad. We would have had to eat many packets of the stuff to ingest a lethal dose. The most vivid memory of this presentation is that some of the worst poisons are the carbamates,(golden malrin is one of them), and the diabetes medications that children sometimes get into. We would assume that diabetes meds would be safe for humans, but they are deadly in children, due to their body weight. If they eat just ONE pill, their blood sugar will drop very rapidly and it often kills them. So, Grandma, put those diabetes meds in a very safe place when the grandkids visit.
FYI: I am not in any way advocating that any of you start snacking on d-con or any other rat poisons. Let's all eat only good healthy foods, like Twinkies and Mountain Dew.