Does Golden Malrin work on Rats?

2pinkmom

Songster
9 Years
Mar 31, 2010
I guess I mean, will they eat it if I mix it with soda pop or jam? If so, how much do I need to use? And how do I safely dispose of any leftover poison in the morning? I have two small children, so I need to get everything cleaned up really well.

Golden Malrin for fly baits? No, I used to have them around the barn and it never killed anything excpt for flies.

Someone will be more experienced than I, with better answer.

Um, yes. BUT I would strongly recommend using an alternative method. Too much chance of unintended casualties and secondary poisonings.

golden maldrin will kill anything that ingests it. I usually cut open a 2 liter bottle about a 1/4 of the way up from the bottom and dump 1/2 cup in it. They do not make it to far from there. If that doesn't seem strong enough I have mixed more in.

Just a friendly warning but by using a pesticide like GM to kill a mammal you are probably violating federal law.

When regular traps failed for my rat problem I had to resort to Dcon but it worked very well.

Yes, GM will kill anything that eats it, and it will also kill anything that is eaten by whatever it kills. It's dangerous stuff, and I would not use it if there are children around. Get some "Just one bite". It is very safe, rats love it, and it is unlikely that anything will get sick or die from eating a dead rat. It contains an anticoagulant, and is slow acting. If your child should eat some, he/she will have several days before it will cause a reaction. Vitamin K is the antidote for most anticoagulants. Almost all anticoagulants are fairly safe. They are formulated to kill small animals, and a regular sized human would have to eat a lot to receive a lethal dose. I have eaten d-con in poison demonstrations and noticed no after effects. I probably would have needed to eat 12 - 15 boxes to receive a lethal dose.

Quote:
Wow. That's some......dedication? What on earth possessed you to eat D-Con in demonstration?

Quote:
Wow. That's some......dedication? What on earth possessed you to eat D-Con in demonstration?

2 x

You are NUTS trying it! Does it taste good?

All right, I'll try the Just One Bite first. I just got wigged out because I think that a rat might have made it into the house. Will I see anything dead with the Just One Bite?

Quote:
Please, please, please, do not use Golden Malrin for off label uses. Personally, I don't use it at all when children are present on property, and I work with pesticides daily.

The active ingredient in GM is Methomyl, a carbamate, which is in a group of insecticides that are being taken off of the market, due to the broad toxicity to mammals. These are cholinisterase inhibitors, which can cause long term effects in humans, hence the extreme caution around children.

I have a 3 yr old boy in my home, and never use GM at my house.

Please, research rodent control and use snap traps that are placed in childproof containers, or baits that are labeled for rodent control. These baits will either contain a bitter agent that is unpalatable to humans, or contain toxicants that have low toxicity to humans.

Rodent control is not an easy task. Rats and mice learn very quickly, becoming trap shy, so your methods are very important. Placement of traps and baits is crucial too.

hope this helps.

RMM

Back
Top Bottom