I forgot to mention my weird experiences with this hatch regarding the really late but alive chicks in the shell.
I candled my last four lav eggs tonight. The rest hatched just 1-2 days late, and my lavs have always seemed to want to hatch a day or two before the other colors/breeds. So I went two days with no pips, and I opened the rest up. All dead in the shell. One had pipped internally but I never heard it (or I would have gotten it out). Another was malpositioned and never could have pipped. One late quitter. One ???
So I start checking my blue Orps. I thought one was dead and was in the middle of an egg-topsy when it moved. I had removed too much membrane to put it back together, so it died....sigh. I think maybe I see movement in one or two remaining eggs, so I'm leaving them alone. I had another that looked bad, but as soon as I could see clearly after taking the top off the air space, it was moving! At least with this one I had not touched the inner membrane, so I capped it with a clean shell and will check it daily now that I know it's alive. It hadn't pipped internally yet. This has been the craziest hatch. The only good thing is that so far they have either been perfectly healthy or they've gone quickly, no weak ones.
I don't know how long to wait on the Bieles. They have such dark shells that you can see a little, like the air space, and if there is still much liquid, but I don't know about movement in those. I'll wait them out another couple of days, then probably check one by opening it up. I have more coming, but am bummed that I only got two and both were boys. I suspect since the two healthy boys hatched a couple of days ago that the last six may be duds due to my incubator fluctuations. Or a few may be like my blues and still be alive...crazy.
My next few (only about 8-10 I think) are technically due today, but I'm thinking more like Sunday. Hopefully the rest from Batch 1 will have gotten off the pot by then (Day 28!!!!).
I'm just going to have to invest in more reliable equipment. Really disappointed in my Eco-40 though my Eco-20 works fine.