•• ADD YOUR COOP TO BYC •• ( formerly the Coop Page Contest )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
---------------------- UPDATE -------------------------------

This first BYC Coop Page Contest is over, but we still want you to create coop pages using the BYC Page Creator tool. Once you've created a coop page please look for a current BYC Coop Contest at the top of this section and add a link to your coop page so we can add it to the coop design section of BYC.

Thank you!

---------------------- UPDATE -------------------------------

---------------------- ORIGINAL CONTEST INFO -------------------------------

Part of the reason for the upgrade to the BYC Personal Pages was that we want members to help us create new content for the BYC site. There is just no way any one person (or a couple people for that matter) can know and post everything that is needed to know for raising chickens.

Here is the basic idea:

1) Every member of the forum can create any page they want using the Personal Pages tool.
2) If a member wants to add their page to the main BYC site they can contact me and let me know they would like their page added to the site.
3) We (BYC staff) will review the page (making sure it is up to the standards of BYC) and if it passes review will be linked to from the main content pages of BYC.

Examples:

Single Author- These would be pages where one person would own the content of the page and no collaboration is needed. Coops are a great example of this... each member could post their own coop pictures, description, etc.

Multiple Authors- This is the situation where multiple users may contribute pages to a single topic. For example, breeds. Let's say that 8 people want to work together to create content on a specific breed. We suggest that one person become the group lead and design one main breeds page that links to the other member's pages.

A few rules for pages to be linked to from www.BackYardChickens.com:
1) Content must be original. No "borrowing" of images / text from other websites, books, or other copyrighted stuff.
2) Look and feel should match the other pages of BYC.
3) BYC staff have final approval of what is and isn't added to the BYC site
4) BYC has the right to use the content which is submitted to the site.

Okay, now onto the first contest!

Coop Pages Contest

We're going to kick this off with a contest to see who can build the "best" coop page. The winner of the contest will have their coop featured on the home page of www.BackYardChickens.com and get some free goodies from the BYC Store including an exclusive, not available in the stores BYC Breakfast Shirt!

Here is what should be included in your page:
1) A write up of how you built your coop along with any information you think would be helpful to other people who may want to build a similar coop.
2) Any designs / plans you used to build your coop.
3) Pictures of your coop as it was being constructed.
4) Finished pictures of your coop.
5) What you want to change / add to your completed coop.

The rules above apply, but here are some additional hints to help you build the best page possible:

1) Follow the format of some of the existing coop pages.
2) The more details and pictures the better!
3) Plans plans plans. Very few coop designs have available plans. If you post plans (rough or detailed) of your coop you'll get bonus points for sure!
4) Pictures - We all love lots of pictures, but PLEASE follow these guidelines: Pictures on the page should be no wider than 500 pixels. If you want to add a larger picture please post a link to the picture instead of the picture itself.

Here is a great example of a page with lots of good information and pictures during construction. You'll notice some pictures are in the body of the page and others are links from the page:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/coops/pallet-coop.html

If you have any questions about how to use the personal pages , post them here.

If you have questions about the coop contest reply to this post.

Again, we hope to add many of the pages submitted to the coop design page of BYC, but the best will win the contest. I hope we have a lot of coop submissions and tons of fun!!!

yippiechickie.gif

wee.gif

clap.gif

ya.gif

I have time on my hands at the moment, so I will be taking pics, but I'm afraid they're won't be plans as it was built over three years ago, before we had a digital camera and we never took any pictures. I'll see if Gimp can help me draw plans though.

That's a great lookin' page Jim!

Yes, everyone, please post links to your coop pages on this thread. No time frame on the contest just yet... we want to make sure everyone can use the tool that wants to submit their coop designs.

not too pleased--just spent two hours doing my page for the contest, adding pics and dimensions, only to have an error and it disappear for ever--dont forget to publish before you're finished or you'll waste the same amount of time as i did

That's pretty odd. What was the error message? Did you loose your internet connection?

If people are having consistant problems please report them so we can trouble shoot. So far most of the problems that have come up have been resolved or were specific to people's computers.

Remember, you can see a list of all the pages here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/pages.php

If you have a coop page please post a link as a reply to this thread.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom