“Share Helpful Backyard Poultry TIPS” a Random Posting CONTEST Thread ~ Hosts, Mike & Sally

I know that chickens will go to bed automatically at dusk, but sometimes I need to get them to go in early. Offering treats may work at first, but over time they get suspicious and also it is hard to see treats in a dark henhouse. I discovered this simple solution.They respond almost magically if I hold my arms out to my sides at about a 45º angle, palms open toward them and then I walk calmly toward them, herding them to the door. They all just calmly hop in, single file, no fuss. I can get them in 30 to 40 minutes early this way.
ps: further clarification, I get behind them, then I look steadily at the door where I want them to go, not at them, and have my feet pointed to the door as well. I don't say a thing.

Last edited:
I know that chickens will go to bed automatically at dusk, but sometimes I need to get them to go in early. Offering treats may work at first, but over time they get suspicious and also it is hard to see treats in a dark henhouse. I discovered this simple solution.They respond almost magically if I hold my arms out to my sides at about a 45º angle, palms open toward them and then I walk calmly toward them, herding them to the door. They all just calmly hop in, single file, no fuss. I can get them in 30 to 40 minutes early this way.
That IS magic!! Genius! Will have to try!! Very cute pic, too!

Last edited:
ps: further clarification, I get behind them, then I look steadily at the door where I want them to go, not at them, and have my feet pointed to the door as well. I don't say a thing.

thats because you look like a vulture LOL!!! I do the same thing, but after a few times they get the idea!

Last edited:
I know that chickens will go to bed automatically at dusk, but sometimes I need to get them to go in early. Offering treats may work at first, but over time they get suspicious and also it is hard to see treats in a dark henhouse. I discovered this simple solution.They respond almost magically if I hold my arms out to my sides at about a 45º angle, palms open toward them and then I walk calmly toward them, herding them to the door. They all just calmly hop in, single file, no fuss. I can get them in 30 to 40 minutes early this way. ps: further clarification, I get behind them, then I look steadily at the door where I want them to go, not at them, and have my feet pointed to the door as well. I don't say a thing.
I have learned that using my son's pool noodles makes my arms look longer and gives me more control of more chickens at once

It gets really hot around here. On super hot days, I chop up fruit and put it in ice cube trays, add water and freeze. I then drop them into a plastic trough that I usually have water in. The cubes slide all over the place and the chickens have fun chasing them. It's a cool treat on a hot day.

Back
Top Bottom