“Share Helpful Backyard Poultry TIPS” a Random Posting CONTEST Thread ~ Hosts, Mike & Sally

Sally Sunshine

cattywampus
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Aug 23, 2012
PA
CONGRATS!!

WINNERS ARE LISTED BELOW CLICK HERE

rFYd6_p5CzJW7liOrmIOSmknkuubJoSV5GQSY1qLHhML5s0GsxeBCHhvbe6QZ5bZ9TcIlO3J5c_opVvKadCjgWItH3bXKrVZzENWdCWTFnmYAVxw-YbPzRZ8pjGfft4znnJWlOat
“Share Helpful Backyard Poultry TIPS”

A Random Posting Contest Thread!

"Springing in the Chicks"
Hosted by Mike & Sally

S3t89evaxNDQWXlff1wNncxoX5_k4z-ISl-CvyQxrN5dUcMF-YBrTg6JvB-TnhMBnaz_eqQO3vBdLLv9mtJskvPFQsc6Z2VqbWr8KSI6uIkIMNr3Ee8wqAmMOptnT-H9smc3iUJJ

POST POST POST to WIN!

Share any type of Helpful Tips, Inventions, Ideas, Money Saving Tips, that relate to ANY AREA of Fowl Keeping, Incubation, Etc. that may be useful and help someone else!

If the idea was not your own, please credit the idea’s originator with a link or tag!

We will use a random number generator to select several winners for this time frame.

Check back in after May 8th, 2016 for a complete list of winners!

czhwPq0C2J74tEX1rxnN5GrTN_S5QDj5CGvqX1UvN7gBSLB7ZL6fVujU2ViXa7wv18oLsXE-VdGt8EyGxmrLQLSN_50VoTwTCXG5ZqOOCepIsdOIVbfpLvWr-FIfSIM1JW8yWVPN

Shelving DIY Brooders by, cmom

Post on this thread

Until April 30th, 2016 until Midnight EST

Open to ALL BYC members

in the Continental U.S. ONLY (Not Alaska or Hawaii)

READ RULES BELOW!

dSuIq1-yazqUVCfE79y9ZYfP2Zd1XmwoSKU3TkgpkyI3Q62iWl5QI-END_8rNWOEcyPhOq9p6OBl75QmbR7uQKKg4ur0qDPnXqfNpnQoPgqWlaCXbldJobCha5klaRox5bGYe071

by BantyChooks

Thread & Contest Rules:
Open to ALL BYC members in the Continental U.S. ONLY (Not Alaska or Hawaii)
*If a minor wins, the prize will be awarded to the parent/legal guardian of the winner (and not the minor). The parent or legal guardian will need to have their own BYC account setup and message with their name and address.
POST AS MUCH AS YOU CAN, NO "single" posting, has to be meaningful and/or HELPFUL posts,
VIOLATORS will be voided if that # is chosen and another # randomly chosen!

Post on this thread Until Contest Ends April 30th, 2016 until Midnight EST
For List of Winners, check back to this page after May 8th, 2016

Winners will be chosen by a random number generator
REMINDER that your host's reserves the right to disqualify posts not following the rules.
All BYC Rules Apply!
Terms of Service (Rules)
VOID where Prohibited!

RANDOM PRIZES SHOW IN

NEXT POST below!

kTVJhIueSN-xTPkkPYflGqdwo0dYSuF9Rmte1-R2CFOYyeyi-FwQWvs9D1aoXbJyBpaXDGLqA3D1T9qOOMvKevC4zDwvILEZKdLljrwqB6GZDGvPE2t2BXhgXCkaGVuXU7II0U9L
OI23XnX4EBCTpyFnB5bGQGpvfhQa1HPR5u_0npED5PLnG9YptSzuaOs1_eRECSJMcB92zMM3rrzYDesjm_5r3HVu3cL7nbdT4SaHeuZlw0cucbVovy1zt4mfD1fCBFAQTCaBOzET
pe-0mgPRB1o7HJ-ab6Dydx-DvHcek919uLuw8PPvk3-qp_IRxn1J5Hq-CAM2EZxIFjoBzSTyKW0gWy-mgayc0eaBrmFZNeG5n4V3Ca1hJdXdQ8GZ2EuHpW9IxolfEA9WH_5zlvE-

"cabbage swing" by mlowen
To occupy penned up chickens.
Drill 3/8" tunnel through the cabbage core, fashion a "needle" with coat hanger wire,
and thread the chain through the cabbage. Hang it from a rafter.

If you have not joined the “Springing in the Chicks” 2016 Hatch-a-Long Please Join us here...

Check out these COOL CONTESTS!

“Share a Laugh” Random Posting Thread CLICK HERE
“Share Helpful BYC TIPS” Random Posting CLICK HERE
Chick Mug Shots CLICK HERE
Selfies with Fowl CLICK HERE
Fowl Drawing/Painting Contest CLICK HERE

Last edited:
For covering the bottom of the brooder I have used this trick for years. I take an old blanket (often one from my "collection" I pick up cheaply from rummage sales, etc. that I keep on hand for covering plants when cold threatens) and cut it into brooder sized pieces and use these for the floor of the brooder for the first few days to help prevent splay legs. I know many of you already use paper towels or dish towels. I have found that; the blanket pieces stay put better and aren't easily moved or shredded by the chicks scratching like paper towels, and unlike towels, you just toss the blanket pieces when they become soiled, no washing required like dish towels. Also, one old blanket will usually provide more than one season's worth of pieces and easily store with your other hatching/brooder supplies so they are ready and waiting for the next brood.

I got a new little flashlight for candling but wanted a softer cushion and a way to create less gapping between the egg and the end of the flashlight.

I was trying to think of what I had on hand that could work - weather stripping! It's cushiony (yes, that's a word lol) and sticky on one side, so easy to apply & work with - however, I decided I wanted to secure mine better with super glue once I had it in place.

So I super glued the weather stripping around the end of the flashlight and voila! A perfect cushion and great seal on the egg for candling! Even if you don't have weather stripping on hand, it's super cheap and easy to pick up!
1f60a.png

My tip is flock with other chicken crazy people. I have a neighbor who also raises chickens so we tend to help each other out with tips and hatching eggs ect... I guess my tip is be neighborly to those who are as chicken crazy as you are.

Last edited:
Here's my helpful tip:
For my nesting boxes, I use these little red tubs as the actual "box" for easy cleaning.

So say you have a broken egg or a hen pooped in the box, you can just take it out (make sure to get the eggs out first)

Empty it

Refill with your choice of bedding

Then put back in the frame so that your hen's have a clean and comfy place to lay their eggs.

And, if it gets really messy, you can just rinse it out with water.

Last edited:
Using a tarp as a sled will carry quite a load, more than a five gallon bucket will with much less effort. Folded in half and use the fold as handles to pull the load. Works really well especially if the wheelbarrow can't reach the area or you don't have a wheelbarrow.

Whitewash inside of your coop! Old-fashioned, cheap and easy. Repeat once a year. Reduces mites and those tiny ick bugs chickens get...

7 cups HYDRATED lime (garden or feed store)
2 cups salt
1 gallon water
Mix well
Slop it on, Get in all cracks and crevices
Do once yearly when cleaning coop.
Goes on "clear", dries white...

Sleds ~ They have many uses!
I am not to lift up more than 30lbs after my surgeries, and for life I am told! yeah ok Doc,
like that is gonna happen right? Our Chicken feed bags are 100lb bags, I needed a way to do so myself as necessary.

I grabbed the kids snow sled, dropped a bag of feed right off the pile down onto the sled, and drug it out to the Metal trash cans I have at each chicken pen area.

Once I got to the can I had to figure out how to put the feed in without lifting it! As it works out, the long sled fit right into the trash can when I had it laid over, SLED AND FEED both! slid right into the can!

All I had to do was stand the can up and pull the sled out, put lid on trash can and done! I always do it this way now, along with bringing in our coal buckets after I fill them, wood and kindling, waterers to the coops and on and on. We even use them at the beach to lug our coolers and fishing stuff down so we dont have to try to carry it all!

Last edited:
a435f59d6c52ad99d16f1c4fcf5b5f49.jpg

Charcoal and chickens
charcoal as a chicken feed supplement can provide real health benefits for your chooks.

age-old practice of adding charcoal to drinking water or feed.

The charcoal is able to absorb toxins from the food or water, improving hygiene and chook health.

Better hygiene can also help prevent infections such as Salmonella in meat and eggs.

While it has no nutritional value itself, charcoal contributes to keeping an animal’s digestive system healthy.

It is a laxative and can help move the impurities it absorbs out of the body.

If worms or worm eggs are present, it can to some degree help move them out of the body as well.

Poultry feed containing 1-1.5% charcoal has resulted in increased laying rate, a longer laying period and increased egg weight.

reduce the odour of chook manure.http://earthwisegardening.com/?p=235

Back
Top Bottom