“Share Helpful Backyard Poultry TIPS” a Random Posting CONTEST Thread ~ Hosts, Mike & Sally

I'm not sure how all you chicken lovers feel about processing chickens for meat birds but I do. I have found many tricks to making it easier. I'll share the feathering trick. Heat a pot of water (just big enough to dunk the whole bird in) to about 130 degrees. Not boiling. Just very hot but you can still put your hand in without scalding. Take your bird (after you kill it please
1f61c.png
) and dip it into the water for about a minute. Swish it around and than you should be able to pluck that bird very easily. Even those pesky wing feathers come right out with just a little pressure for the quill feathers.
I process my own birds too. and thanks for the tip. we do ours outside so it's always hard to tell what temp the water is at so the hand thing will work well.

Here is my first tip:
Use your birds to your advantage. Many people keep collecting birds and the feed bill grows. Try to sell eggs/birds/chicks and make the birds pay for themselves.

I do this. :) I have a chicken envelope, that I go straight to with the money after selling eggs. If I have sold a few chicks, or a hen, I usually put some in there too..but spend it on other things too. :)

@Cynthia12
I do something similar. I set aside money for let's say 2 months of chicken feed/ related stuff I might need. As I sell more chicks/eggs/birds I end up adding money and not having to put as much in the envelope each time

@Cynthia12
I do something similar. I set aside money for let's say 2 months of chicken feed/ related stuff I might need. As I sell more chicks/eggs/birds I end up adding money and not having to put as much in the envelope each time

I should probably do this..
big_smile.png
I have had some left over from selling eggs before. Especially in the summer when they eat less. Love when I am not buying chicken food so often in the summer because they are happy free ranging.

I saw that someone mixed fruit in a mixer with ice. Anyone ever freeze a banana..or apple? I have heard a lot do grapes. Try freezing a banana! They love it! Cut in small pieces, they actually eat it slower, so less than if you throw out big pieces of the banana.

​I process my own birds too. and thanks for the tip. we do ours outside so it's always hard to tell what temp the water is at so the hand thing will work well.

Your welcome.
1f60a.png
I've got some great pictures of easily removing crop/head and tail/vent/guts in easy steps without much mess. If your interested pm me and I'll let you see along with how I did it.

TIPS KEEP CHICKS SEPARATE IN THE HATCHER post #44668

Quote:ChickenCanoe

Paddler look at this one on google search! bet could bend wire do the same basic thing with a cheap one huh? @ChickenCanoe

2186011818536p

missing-sock-solution-lingerie-bag.jpg

images

I haven't had a chance to read this whole thread, so I"m not sure if this has been suggested.

We stop in the local grocery stores and go to the produce section. We ask for any of the scrap produce they have, to feed our chickens. They gave us a box of red lettuce the other day (probably 20 heads), they have given us bell peppers, apples, peaches, broccoli, tomatoes etc. It's whatever they have on hand at the time you go. They now save stuff for us.

When you are looking for treats for them, you can't beat free!!

Here's my helpful tip:
For my nesting boxes, I use these little red tubs as the actual "box" for easy cleaning.

So say you have a broken egg or a hen pooped in the box, you can just take it out (make sure to get the eggs out first)

Empty it

Refill with your choice of bedding

Then put back in the frame so that your hen's have a clean and comfy place to lay their eggs.

And, if it gets really messy, you can just rinse it out with water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom