⊰• BEYOND THE MOUNTAINS •⊱ A Fantasy/Adventure RP

Faolan looked to Alexis at her question, smiling as he realized that he had an excellent opportunity to prove that magic was real. "It's a Cloaking charm," He explained, thinking that he was making perfect sense, being that to him, cloaking was invisibility, "But not a very good one, because you can't just wear it around your neck, it has to spin. If you'd like I'll show you how it works, but you can't be holding the reins or it'll cloak you as well."

"Cloaking?" Alexis asked and raised a hand to where her cloak was secured around her shoulders "I already have a cloak, why would it give me another?" She asked even as she brought the mare to a stop so she could release the reins. Even if she did already have one, he could use a dry one. She thought. She watched him, taking a step back to see what he was talking about.

Faolan laughed, "Oh, I am so sorry. A Cloaking charm makes you invisible, I'll show you." With his other hand, the injured arm, he reached up and tapped the stone once on its right side, which started it spinning slowly. Within seconds, it had picked up speed, and a low, vibrating mum emanated from it as it became a shining bluer. Faolan watched as a slight haze filled the air around him and the mare, as it always did. But to anyone watching, the air around his and the horse would ripple as if water for a moment, distorting them, and then, they would vanish.

Faolan waited a few seconds, then grabbed the spinning stone, stopping it and rippling back into visibility with a wide smile.

Alexis stepped back as the air around him and the mare rippled like looking at a reflection in water then the two disappeared. Her eyes went wide and her mouth dropped open in shock as she watched them disappear then after a few seconds come back. Now she had to believe, there was no other explanation for that than magic."You..." She shook her head and looked away then moved back to touch the mare as if to be sure they were back again. After reassuring herself she looked back up at Faolin "You really are from the highlands. Magic is real." This was a lot to process for what had started as an ordinary day for her. She looked down and shook her head"Why has it been hidden from us?" She asked and looked back up at him, curious now that she knew it for a fact

Piper watched the scene from a few paces in front of Alexis, her faced perplexed and bewildered. She couldn't deny what she had just seen, but she foreignness of it was making her very uncomfortable. What else could he do, she wondered without speaking up.

"For your own protection," Faolan replied to Alexis solumly, glancing to Piper before looking back to Alexis and continuing, "In the highlands, there is constant war, not once in my live time has there been peace. The kingdom of Laochra, along with many others, wish to invade the lowlands. While as the kingdom of Gaoithe, and a few others, block them from entering lowlands." He sighed, putting the charm back into his pocket, "It is because of the war that I ended up in that river, Laochra sent their armies into Gaoithe territory, and they quickly made their way to the great city its self..." Faolan trailed off, thinking of the battle, the blinding rain, cries of suffering all around. It wasn't that war scared him or that he couldn't handle it, he was a warrior, and had no trouble slaying another man to protect his people. But the thought of what would happen, and might have already happened to thoughs in the city if the walls were to be breached... Well, that thought was hard to face, Laochra warriors were not known for their mercy.

Alexis went quiet and turned to walk the mare again, thinking about all he had said. She wasn't sure what to think about all this. A war that was being fought to keep them safe and they had never heard of it before? She sighed softly wanting to ask many questions, but unsure of where to start. She frowned and glanced at him again. " You said the battle came to your city . Gaoithe? What happens if it falls?"

"Gaoithe has stood strong for millennia, for some of the most powerful sorcerers rezide there, the walls are fifty feet in height and it's army is one of the largest, but if it were to fall..." Faolan explained, looking away for a moment to put his emotions in check as thoughts of his mother and brothers flooded his mind, then continued as he looked ahead of them, "The lowlands would fall shortly there after, it wouldn't take much, I'm sorry to say."

Piper's mouth was set in a hard line, her gaze averted to the ground as Faolan spoke. He made their world seem so frail and easy to break, but it didn't seem that way to her. Her entire life had been contained in a relatively small portion of the lowlands, and to think that in one battle it could all be gone made her want to leave Faolan in the river. Why had he come with such terrible words? The lowlands were peaceful... Enden was a flourishing town, and she wasn't going to let a stranger who could do some magic tricks destroy that on her.

"Ah, Hannes, where have you been?" A tall, ashen brown haired man called in a mellow tone as he looked up from the log he and another man were sawing in half. His name was Walter, and though his sharp features, weather worn skin and tousled, graying hair gave him the look of a man at least well into his thirties, he was only twenty-three.

Back
Top Bottom