➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

B51ED266-8D62-43A0-9445-FF419D6FA778.jpeg

One of the chicks from last year's batch. Her name is Pecky Becky

@KikisGirls did you determine that all 3 of your recent balut eggs were duds or are you still holding out hope for 1? Do you feel like you've learned a lot about candling and what a good and bad egg look like inside? Too bad you won't be able to candle the quail eggs like that.

Have you ventured to another market yet?
Yeah..I decided these last three were all DOA and pulled the plug on the bator the other day.
I have decided to not try another Asian grocery store just yet.

I will be getting more eggs again next Thursday.

I DO have quail eggs lined up now!
I inssist that I have the quail housing at least started before I get the quail eggs.
I'm thinking I will have them in hand in 2 weeks.

Snow people..... We really only get one or two freak snow storms here....
That said... For my chickens I've been doing the Terra cotta pot thing. For my rabbits I have a heated waterer thingy. just got goats and ducks so no winter experience with their water in the winter, So no experience with those. But you opened up some future winter possibilities for us!
We empty the water when we put our chickens up. Start with fresh water in the morning. Don't use hot or warm water because it freezes faster. Break thru the ice during the day.

Yeah..I decided these last three were all DOA and pulled the plug on the bator the other day.
I have decided to not try another Asian grocery store just yet.
I will be getting more eggs again next Thursday.
I DO have quail eggs lined up now!
I inssist that I have the quail housing at least started before I get the quail eggs.
I'm thinking I will have them in hand in 2 weeks.

What kind of quail? some varieties have speckled eggs and some have a solid colored shell.
I had Coturnix. They begin laying at 8 weeks and lay a robin bluish speckled egg that hatches about 16 days. Hard to candle, so if the egg glowed a reddish pink when candled on day 8, it got to stay in the incubator. If it was still a bluish color it was considered clear and pulled. eggtopsy confirmed this practice.
if you use the egg turner, then lay a small square of gauze across the bottom of each egg cup. Some of the eggs can slip thru the holes in the turner.

What kind of quail? some varieties have speckled eggs and some have a solid colored shell.
I had Coturnix. They begin laying at 8 weeks and lay a robin bluish speckled egg that hatches about 16 days. Hard to candle, so if the egg glowed a reddish pink when candled on day 8, it got to stay in the incubator. If it was still a bluish color it was considered clear and pulled. eggtopsy confirmed this practice.
if you use the egg turner, then lay a small square of gauze across the bottom of each egg cup. Some of the eggs can slip thru the holes in the turner.
Sweet info!

I am getting Coturnix!
I actually saw an egg turner the other day at the feed store for my incubator just for quail eggs.
I immediately starting thinking how I was going to 'rig' my turner for the quail eggs.
Gauze did not even cross my mind, THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom