➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

They need high protein.. like turkeys
I know they need the high protein, but what about them makes that a requirement? For such small birds? I’ve been reading different published studies, and so far the only effects of the lower protein levels are delayed egg-laying which isn’t a major side effect to us.

One quail is hatched and nine more have externally piped
I know they need the high protein, but what about them makes that a requirement? For such small birds? I’ve been reading different published studies, and so far the only effects of the lower protein levels are delayed egg-laying which isn’t a major side effect to us.
I think that it's because the chicks grow so fast that they need high protein but not sure about why the adults still need higher protein then, for example, chickens

They need the gamebird feed for the higher protein and the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that are not found in chicken feed or chicken starter. The gamebird starter is critical for proper development of the quail chicks.

Protein requirement of Japanese Quail

"Four crude protein levels (20, 22, 24 and 26%) were evaluated for Japanese quails and it was concluded that after lysine and methionine + cystine requirements were met, 20% crude protein level resulted in best performance from 1 to 42 days of age (Murakami et al., 1993a)."

The problem here being that the lower protein feeds that are available do not have the necessary levels of lysine, methionine and cystine. It isn't all about the protein level.

They need the gamebird feed for the higher protein and the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that are not found in chicken feed or chicken starter. The gamebird starter is critical for proper development of the quail chicks.

Protein requirement of Japanese Quail

"Four crude protein levels (20, 22, 24 and 26%) were evaluated for Japanese quails and it was concluded that after lysine and methionine + cystine requirements were met, 20% crude protein level resulted in best performance from 1 to 42 days of age (Murakami et al., 1993a)."

The problem here being that the lower protein feeds that are available do not have the necessary levels of lysine, methionine and cystine. It isn't all about the protein level.
One quail is hatched and nine more have externally piped

I think that it's because the chicks grow so fast that they need high protein but not sure about why the adults still need higher protein then, for example, chickens
Thank you both! That was exactly what I was looking for. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom