➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

Your loud quackers will be your girls.
hopefully they are both females!! but not exactly sure how long they will be staying :oops: i haven’t decided yet if dux fit into my scheme very well! they are sweet overall, and i haven’t had any issues yet with the gamebirds drowning in their pond (although gimpy the male ringneck went swimming by mistake yesterday and wasn’t happy about it 🤣) but they make such a mess and poo like saint bernards! :gig

hopefully they are both females!! but not exactly sure how long they will be staying :oops: i haven’t decided yet if dux fit into my scheme very well! they are sweet overall, and i haven’t had any issues yet with the gamebirds drowning in their pond (although gimpy the male ringneck went swimming by mistake yesterday and wasn’t happy about it 🤣) but they make such a mess and poo like saint bernards! :gig
Ducks are nasty. I keep mine as far from the house as possible, and they have over an acre of creek, willow, orchard and pasture. I clean their pool daily during summer... it reeks to high heavens every time. I love them anyways.

I took some pictures tonight while feeding....thought I’d put them here for y’all to enjoy!! For the dux peeps.....my Cayuga’s wing came in this way.....any idea what could’ve caused it would be appreciated
Angel wing... wrap it and it may correct itself. I think high protein causes it, feathers coming in being too heavy for the duckling, and there are a few other theories of why it happens.

There are companion dogs that are trained specifically to alert when their owner is having medical issues.
Hubby's BIL had a cat that alerted the wife when his blood sugar levels dropped at night.

Also, I'M SO PROUD!!!
The ginger got into A&M. He's a poultry science major y'all... my husband is gonna be a real life chicken expert.
View attachment 2147397
Congratulations!

Has anyone ever had to give one of their chickens a pedicure? My poor Buff Orpington, Priscilla, had the longest and oddest nails! They were curling sideways because they were so long. The rest of my flock is fine. It was just hers. We ended up taking a dremel tool and filed and smoothed them down just a smidge. We didn't do too much because I was worried that we'd do something wrong. In fact, we probably didn't file them down enough, but I am ok with that. Is a first for me. :idunnoWe'll keep an eye on her and make sure she is walking and doing ok and reassess at a later time.
My cage birds get trimmed several times a year using dog nail clippers. I trim back the rooster spurs using either wire cutters or the band saw.

Ducks are nasty. I keep mine as far from the house as possible, and they have over an acre of creek, willow, orchard and pasture. I clean their pool daily during summer... it reeks to high heavens every time. I love them anyways.
Definitely angel wing. Not too late yet to bandage and correct it.

@Tesumph Your lizard palace is more beautiful than my actual house! 🤣 Seriously incredible. I love it. And you and your ginger are both amazing and delightful people with a lot to be proud of :hugs
🥺 Thanks Bones.
After two days of throwing a fit, IV finally settled down today and dug herself a little bed to sleep in. I could've cried lol.
IMG_20200520_215305~2.jpg
I'm also doing a miniature remodel of the leo's tank.. pics later.
I had a dog named Bones visit my animal crossing village today. Thought of you. 😋
Have had a wickedly tiring week...
Saturday. I weeded flower beds and got a bed ready and planted okra seed.
Sunday I spent most of the day sorting thru the almost 400 chicks hatched since March 12.
In ages 5 weeks to 9 weeks Columbian Wyandotte I kept back 83 and in the 1 week to 4 weeks old, I held back 140. I kept the Delaware Bantam chicks too.
Monday A friend came to pick up the 180 culled chicks to take home and raise up for his family, his elderly neighbors and needy families to have meat in the freezer. I then mowed the front and back yards and the garden.
Tuesday, we worked cows and,I cleaned out the floor pen in the brooder room to prep for the next group of chicks to move outside.
I still have three hatches in the cabinet incubator due the next three weekends.
AND I found this in my best breed pen swallowing the eggs!
I grabbed my go to limb loppers! I'm 5'4" tall.
View attachment 2150396View attachment 2150395

Hubby said this snake was 6 inches shorter than the one he killed by my chicken run on Monday.
Yesterday evening I worked on this jacket for the gd's boyfriend for her birthday/prom/graduation thingy....
Turning this jacket into this using material matching her dress.
View attachment 2150429View attachment 2150446View attachment 2150447
Still have one side and the back to finish. Sure glad she thinks several weeks ahead!

Now after finishing laundry, I have eggs to move to the hatcher, chickens to feed and water and garden plants to set out.
Bbl to catch up.
Dang, you've been busy. I'm tired just reading this!
I planted a few new fruit trees in the backyard yesterday and got the first real sunburn I've had in years. I don't know how the ginger does it.
Tomorrow we are redoing the entire front garden bed and hopefully, finally getting the day lillies planted. ☺

Back
Top Bottom