🆘

B_Chickle01

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Stephentown,Ny
@azygous
I have another update with my JG… I shared under older post but wasn’t sure if I was better off making a whole new thread so I copied and pasted it under new one... She’s plugged up really good AGAIN and I swear she has vent gleet it smells HORRIFIC and she has yellowish(and saw a few green) droppings. I soaked her vent several times for 20mins at a time in epsom salt mix and I tried with cotton balls soaked in mineral oil in between and it’s not giving! I had to give her a break between the water blow dryer and me messing with her vent she seemed worse! What can I do to at least get a bigger opening for her to relieve herself and then I do more later?! Idk what to do. I attached photos of her below. First 2 photos was how her wings and back side looked late last night when I saw her vent. Last two are what it looks like right now after me doing this since last night! I can see a tiny opening but not much!

Attachments

• 27A5C200-8C91-4C84-BA32-D1E6AB140C5C.jpeg
    27A5C200-8C91-4C84-BA32-D1E6AB140C5C.jpeg
    529.4 KB · Views: 14
  • CB8D8D3B-9FF4-4964-8D14-23EE4DE0549F.jpeg
    CB8D8D3B-9FF4-4964-8D14-23EE4DE0549F.jpeg
    529.7 KB · Views: 6
  • E3298503-84E5-4AD7-847B-096077BB7236.jpeg
    E3298503-84E5-4AD7-847B-096077BB7236.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 55579B8B-E772-413F-9A3E-97745846E043.jpeg
    55579B8B-E772-413F-9A3E-97745846E043.jpeg
    506.2 KB · Views: 8
The vent looks almost like the droppings have turned to concrete. Is she still on a heating pad? Is she able to move around and get off the pad? Is this the chicken with drooped wings? I have not read all of your threads, so I am a little in the dark about her. If the droppings are heavily crusted on her vent, you will probably have to soak her more in warm soapy water, and after some time, try to pick it all off. If she has vent gleet, there may be some caking inside the vent that needs to come out. If she is paralyzed or having trouble moving around, you may want to take her to a vet or consider putting her down to end her suffering. Then you could get a necropsy to look for what was wrong. Have any of your birds had any symptoms of Mareks disease?

The vent looks almost like the droppings have turned to concrete. Is she still on a heating pad? Is she able to move around and get off the pad? Is this the chicken with drooped wings? I have not read all of your threads, so I am a little in the dark about her. If the droppings are heavily crusted on her vent, you will probably have to soak her more in warm soapy water, and after some time, try to pick it all off. If she has vent gleet, there may be some caking inside the vent that needs to come out. If she is paralyzed or having trouble moving around, you may want to take her to a vet or consider putting her down to end her suffering. Then you could get a necropsy to look for what was wrong. Have any of your birds had any symptoms of Mareks disease?
X2

Vent gleet is supposed to smell really bad. But another thing that smells horrific is when a hen has a blockage and is expelling a lot of fluids rather than having the cecum properly distribute them throughout the hen's body. It's a sharp, nose burning acrid odor. The poop can look just like your poop photos. I would continue with the calcium for this hen just in case. Go ahead and treat for vent gleet though, covering both bases.

As far as starting a new thread, it's really much better to keep adding to the original thread where the subject was first brought up. That way, all the information is in one place. We are helping numerous people each day, and it's not always easy to jump around from thread to thread and remember what issue we're dealing with. I've embarrassed myself on more than one occasion when I've answered someone's question on an unrelated thread.

Last edited:
I put her back into her crate I have made up for her after I blow dried her quick to get her under the heat lamp and rested because she got worse it seemed after the soaking. Yes the chicken with droopy wings is same chicken with vent issue. I think between the water, the blow dryer, and me gently trying to get her vent cleared she was overly stimulated. She wasn’t moving much! I have been soaking her in warm water and was using saturated pads and cloths with mineral oil to help soften and break it down. A lot of it did come off but it’s still on there pretty good and it’s stuck around the edges of vent and inside not even feathers! I’m about to go and check on her again in a second after I tuck my girls into bed to see if she’s more alert now!

@azygous I ended up losing her 😞 I had another D’Uccle similar symptoms as rest started Monday evening I finally was able to find and get in with Avian Vet earlier this afternoon that was reasonable distance.. Vet said he’s 98% sure it’s Marek’s. :hitShe was suffering so we made the decision to Euthanize her at end of our visit. This is one of the worst possibly things I can imagine!! I remember reading about this before and thinking omg that’s awful I really hope I never have to witness that in my flock..and here we are.He did fecal float for me as well and all he said was he was seeing any signs of Coccidiosis..but I’ve had them on Corid.. doesn’t fecal float test show any thing else other then Coccidiosis?

@azygous I ended up losing her 😞 I had another D’Uccle similar symptoms as rest started Monday evening I finally was able to find and get in with Avian Vet earlier this afternoon that was reasonable distance.. Vet said he’s 98% sure it’s Marek’s. :hitShe was suffering so we made the decision to Euthanize her at end of our visit. This is one of the worst possibly things I can imagine!! I remember reading about this before and thinking omg that’s awful I really hope I never have to witness that in my flock..and here we are.He did fecal float for me as well and all he said was he was seeing any signs of Coccidiosis..but I’ve had them on Corid.. doesn’t fecal float test show any thing else other then Coccidiosis?
Im so sorry for your loss :hugs

Back
Top Bottom