🌱Growing With Ben🌱 ~ The Chonicles of the Troublesome Seeds

Which fruits/vegetables have you successfully grown before?

• Total voters
Did you try just putting the seeds in a pot with some other plant, and leaving them to do their own thing? I'm pretty sure I had success with that at some point in the past.

The reason for putting them in with another plant is so they get watered (because I'm better at watering plants than I am at watering pots of bare-looking dirt.)

I think I had lemon and apple at one point, and someone I know did some kind of citrus more recently. I have no idea how many seeds were planted each time to get one or two plants, and I have no idea how long they took to sprout.
I have not tried this method yet, thanks for the info! Hoping to try it sooner or later.
I have not specifically researched lemons, but I know that some kinds of seeds take MUCH longer than that to sprout.
I gave them more than 7 days to sprout, but still nothing. Everywhere I searched it said that lemon seeds will sprout as early as 5 days after being soaked in the paper towel or after being directly planted into soil…

They call them "seedless" oranges for a reason ;)
So the two whole seeds I found wouldn’t be viable for growing?

They have to grow a lot more before you can get good seeds out of them.
By that point, no-one wants to eat them, so you do not see them in the grocery store.
I mentioned above that I waited for some of the cucs to get a bit older…some were almost turning yellow, but I guess I didn’t wait long enough.

Thanks for all the helpful information!

My brother once successfully sprouted a lemon, it lived for 2 years before he forget to water it and only got about 6 inches high. Have you tried scraping off the outer layer of the seed to get only the black inside and then planting it?
I haven’t tried that, but I have heard and seen that it really won’t do as good as seeds with the skin left on.

So the two whole seeds I found wouldn’t be viable for growing?
It might grow.

The main point about seedless oranges is that they have no seeds, or almost no seeds. So you will get a lot more seeds per orange if you find ones that are not supposed to be seedless.

I mentioned above that I waited for some of the cucs to get a bit older…some were almost turning yellow, but I guess I didn’t wait long enough.
They need to get older on the parent plant, not sitting around after being picked.

I grew a mango..I didn't know that you were supposed to crack the out shell and get the seed..but it sprouted. I was so excited and proud of it. I had it for 3 or 4 or was it five years. It was taller than my knee. I transplanted but didn't put drainage holes in till it was too late. And it died. It was inside in the winter and out during the warm months. I have read store bought mangoes can be sterile though.

Back
Top Bottom