🌱Growing With Ben🌱 ~ The Chonicles of the Troublesome Seeds

Which fruits/vegetables have you successfully grown before?

• Total voters
Pics
I've been reading through you thread and really enjoying it! I've grown many things from seed also. I have several growing in my yard right now. I thought you might like a link I've used for many years. It's a very old site. It has a wonderful seed germination database that will help you start almost anything. I've always found it to be accurate on things I've tried. You will have to look up the botanical name for whatever your working with. This is the contents page, just click on the "green thumb".

https://tomclothier.hort.net/

Here's a few of the things I've grown from seed.

Red Bud Tree (took 1 1/2 yrs to germinate) age 3 yrs
View attachment 3233635

Pomegranate about 2-3 years old, will be planted in the ground soon
View attachment 3233640

Palm Sabal minor about 20 yrs old These grow slowly. Full of seed which the squirrels plant everywhere 🤣
View attachment 3233641

Lots of luck with your peppers and lemons! They look great! 😊
Thanks.
Cherries also. They are germinating in the fridge. Going to be checking up on soon. They’ve been in there for almost a month.

Took me years to figure how to grow raspberries and blackberries from seed . Here are some thornless blackberry seedlings . Before and after repotting them .
DSCN1125.JPG
DSCN1126.JPG

Looking good! How did you start the blackberries and raspberries from seed?
They are complicated . In nature a bird or animal eats them and poo out the seed . This is chemical scarification .They go through summer . this is warm stratification . Then they go through winter . This is cold stratification . Then with luck they sprout in spring or summer . I treat with battery acid , then plant in a pot outside . Let the weather do the rest . So a 9 - 10 month process .

They are complicated . In nature a bird or animal eats them and poo out the seed . This is chemical scarification .They go through summer . this is warm stratification . Then they go through winter . This is cold stratification . Then with luck they sprout in spring or summer . I treat with battery acid , then plant in a pot outside . Let the weather do the rest . So a 9 - 10 month process .
Yes this is what it took to sprout the Red Bud Tree. It took almost a year and a half. I just set it to the side in bright shade. I was about to give up and there it was. I planted it in a 2 liter soda bottle with drainage, cut it half and set up like a tiny greenhouse. I put it in the corner of a flower bed. Let nature run it's course. Pretty easy this way, just have to be patient.

Yes this is what it took to sprout the Red Bud Tree. It took almost a year and a half. I just set it to the side in bright shade. I was about to give up and there it was. I planted it in a 2 liter soda bottle with drainage, cut it half and set up like a tiny greenhouse. I put it in the corner of a flower bed. Let nature run it's course. Pretty easy this way, just have to be patient.
You could have nicked the seed coat to let moisture in . Quicker . Many seeds have a thick seed coat that keeps water out . Kind of delayed germination .

I tossed most of my remaining pepper seedlings today. If they’re each going to need their own pot, I’m going to have to be smart about this…

I left a few in cups. 2 sprouts per whole cup and one per half cup. For now.

I tossed the weak ones and small ones.

I am hoping to transplant 1 or 2 of the lemon sprouts today. Is now a good time? I found a small pot in the garage.

Planning on transplanting these 2 for now.
EEF5A15D-9598-4358-839E-E7809320024A.jpeg

Just so the others are a little happier with more space.

Oh, by the way, a 7th one sprouted.
D274095E-1183-4B02-94C3-DEAB47AC5CE1.jpeg

Heck, that’s 7 out of the 8 seeds I started with in the beginning.
Or even 7 out of 7 of the un-damaged seeds. The 8th was damaged. Photo from first post:
1F81E7AF-FFD4-48FA-8680-CB6468125F44.jpeg

I guess that’s the one that turned moldy that I had to throw out before potting the rest.

7 out of 7 is great. I’m surprised. I’m telling you, time is on your side.

I also checked on the Cherries for the first time today. The ones in the refrigerator.
I don’t see any that sprouted so I’m going t leave them in there for a while longer.

Here are the remaining peppers.

2D94F3C8-DCCF-404B-A471-0FEF27B1B182.jpeg
17420CBD-AB94-4246-8B1B-340D7368774B.jpeg

Left with 12 healthy, tall seedlings.

ETA I forgot about my strawberry container planter. I have 7 seedlings left in there leaving me with 19 pepper seedlings total.
6F22C0E7-508B-4275-9C42-F9E8C2AECE4B.jpeg

Last edited:
I tossed most of my remaining pepper seedlings today. If they’re each going to need their own pot, I’m going to have to be smart about this…

I left a few in cups. 2 sprouts per whole cup and one per half cup. For now.

I tossed the weak ones and small ones.

I am hoping to transplant 1 or 2 of the lemon sprouts today. Is now a good time? I found a small pot in the garage.
I was waiting for advice but nobody responded so I went ahead and attempted transplantation.

The larger one did okay- I seemed to get all the main root system into the new pot. The little one had shockingly long roots… the roots were at least 2 inches long which shocked me for how little the seedling is..
But now I know why…
When I came back from vacation, I dug through the pot to find any possible sprouts.. I dug up SOME of them, so I guess the rest were buried deeper when I dug through the soil…

Fingers crossed these seedlings survive the transplantation!

02CA29B7-8E00-42D1-AE52-27D179211484.jpeg

I like this planter because it has drainage at the bottom to prevent over-watering.

D53A479E-7ED6-442C-B067-8D33EC6E1693.jpeg

I also ended up moving one of the tiny ones that was next to the large initial sprout, so the larger one had more space and their roots don’t end up getting tangled up…

This is how long the roots were for just that tiny sprout.
3D1D05CB-12E0-4E2B-9820-163B8A33B78A.jpeg
6D2AF45B-8605-47B5-B230-354E957864C4.jpeg

So now I have 5, happy seedlings in one pot and 2 in the other. Let’s hope they stay happy! It’s so exciting.

I’m hoping to keep at least 3 so I get a good chance at having some that produce fruit.

Back
Top Bottom