🤔

Yah

Songster
May 16, 2023
Question I have a hen that my rooster doesn't like very much and they have to live together what do I do ?

To answer your question, we need to know more about your setup, please:
How old are your chickens?
Have they been raised together, or just recently introduced?
What breed(s) are they?
How many do you have, in the same pen and coop together?
Also, please describe her behavior, and his --- what makes you think he doesn't like her?

To answer your question, we need to know more about your setup, please:
How old are your chickens?
Have they been raised together, or just recently introduced?
What breed(s) are they?
How many do you have, in the same pen and coop together?
Also, please describe her behavior, and his --- what makes you think he doesn't like her?
Well they both just turned 1 year old .
They were both raised together .
The Rooster is Easter Egger and the hen is Australorp.
Currently I have 9 chickens in a 1,000 sq. ft. pen.
I notice her coming out and making this awkward noise especially if he is getting close and she freaks out and runs away. Occasionally he will chase her and usually she gets away but if she doesn't she just sits in mating position and he doesn't even get on her he just pecks her head and back. Ive tried putting hen saddles on her but he rips them off *******so annoying******

Well they both just turned 1 year old .
They were both raised together .
The Rooster is Easter Egger and the hen is Australorp.
Currently I have 9 chickens in a 1,000 sq. ft. pen.
I notice her coming out and making this awkward noise especially if he is getting close and she freaks out and runs away. Occasionally he will chase her and usually she gets away but if she doesn't she just sits in mating position and he doesn't even get on her he just pecks her head and back. Ive tried putting hen saddles on her but he rips them off *******so annoying******
Thank you for the info. All seems well, so I can't see anything amiss that might have been making her not like him - except that you said they just turned 1 year old - sooo... my only guess is that he's not *quite* fully matured (almost!) and she's still turned off by his teenage hormones. It may improve over the next few months, or not. Still there's not much you can do besides removing one or the other, or adding some new hens to distract him.

Back
Top Bottom