1 chick 1 pullet unknown breeds!

Oh crap. 🫠🫠🫠 you know I was starting to suspect that Chicky may be a cockerel but I had been forcefully ignoring my suspicion 🫠🫠🫠 she crowed the day after I read your response (didn't have a moment to reply! I'm so sorry) so I'm glad you mentally prepared me for that- thank you! 😂😂😂

I also was thinking the chick would be something similar to an Ancona! I'll attach a new pic- there's some new feather coloring going on 😂
Updated pics of these would be really cool!

How in the world do you know that from that pic? Not doubting, because you seem confident. But what are you seeing to seperate it?
Separate it from what? I’m doing what I do with most breed ID posts; matching the traits to the breed that seems most likely. This chick doesn’t have a coloring that’s common in Easter eggers, and the only similarity he really has to an EE are the green legs.

Separate it from what? I’m doing what I do with most breed ID posts; matching the traits to the breed that seems most likely. This chick doesn’t have a coloring that’s common in Easter eggers, and the only similarity he really has to an EE are the green legs.
OP also said they were from Hoovers, who doesn't breed a Phoenix.

Yes this is my question. What traits do you see that makes you believe it is a phoenix over a hybrid colored layer?
Ah, ok. First, the coloring looks to be golden duckwing, which is common in Phoenixes, the single comb and green legs, the size (the chick is smaller than a younger EE chick), and the thick eye stripe. The chick might not be a Phoenix, but at this point that seems to me to be the most likely option.
OP also said they were from Hoovers, who doesn't breed a Phoenix.
I’ve found that hatcheries will often have breeds that just aren’t listed on their website. I found this on a quick search.
IMG_0283.jpeg

Ah, ok. First, the coloring looks to be golden duckwing, which is common in Phoenixes, the single comb and green legs, the size (the chick is smaller than a younger EE chick), and the thick eye stripe. The chick might not be a Phoenix, but at this point that seems to me to be the most likely option.

I’ve found that hatcheries will often have breeds that just aren’t listed on their website. I found this on a quick search. View attachment 3514917
Informative and your search skills are better than mine. More likely something like this, that isn't common for their birds, would end up in an assortment as well.

Updated pics of these would be really cool!
Sorry I've been building a mini barn every extra moment so I haven't been on here much! Here is an updated pic of the chick- I have had it for about a month now! I'll have to get a new wing pic- it has some white feathers tucked under there but it doesn't much like me touching its wings anymore 😂😅 20230531_191858.jpg 20230531_191902.jpg

I’ve found that hatcheries will often have breeds that just aren’t listed on their website. I found this on a quick search. View attachment 3514917
As times go on I'm starting to think you're right! I haven't been able to find anything else that looks like this guy except a bunch of Phoenix roosters that are identical!
This guy still has a very small body but SUCH LONG FEATHERS, body wise he is still smaller than hens even half his age. His tail is so long it usually hangs down, he rarely sticks it up. Which all supports the Phoenix guess! But these feathers are just insane to watch grow! As i mentioned he was in a "hatcherys choice pullets" bin... but half the chickens there already had the combs growing- I chalked it up to them just being older than all the other chicks there, but I'm pretty convinced they actually sent a bunch of straight run Phoenixes on accident 😅😅😅

Attachments

• PhotoRoom-20230723_153850.png
    PhotoRoom-20230723_153850.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom