1 chicken tested positive for mild coccidiosis, treat other 5?

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
One of my 2-year old hens had a fecal test done and it tested positive for mild coccidiosis. She was at the vet for reproductive issues and does not have any coccidiosis symptoms. They've prescribed her Albon for 5 days.

I have liquid CORID. Should I go ahead and treat the rest of my flock (2 other 2-year olds and 3 4-month olds)?

If so, should I do 'Treatment' dosage or 'Preventative'?

Will the 'adult' dosage be ok for the 4-month olds?

I've always assumed it's the same regardless of adult or juvenile: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

It will do no harm to treat the whole flock. It's very hard to overdose on Corid so just to be safe I would do the full course of treatment starting with the "severe" dosage and then lowering to the half-strength dosage for the remainder, as shown in the link above.

You could treat the rest of the flock with Corid if you wish. A small amount of Coccidia will show on fecal floats, all chickens usually have some since they are found in soil and in the poop. When there is an overload, this is cause for concern.

That said, it won't hurt them to treat with the Corid, it's mild and there's no egg withdrawal period.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

What reproductive issue does you vet say your hen has?

Sounds good I’ll do the 2 teaspoon per gallon as you both suggeste. Thank you!
What reproductive issue does you vet say your hen has?
She’s had a couple of shell-less eggs and one that broke inside her over the past couple of months. Bloodwork showed infection and low calcium (although she gets layered feed and full time access to oyster shell and baked eggshells). She’s been on antibiotics and calcium. Day to day she acts completely normal and well!

Back
Top Bottom