1 Day Old Pekins

Islandmom511

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2011
I am so happy to have graduated from "incubating and hatching" to the duck board! Yay! I have 1 day old pekins that are doing very well. They LOVE eachother so much and cry when I pick one up. They are eating and drinking on their own (I got the starter food at the feed store, that's okay right?). My question is, do ducks just eat when they are hungry, or will they eat and eat and eat themselves too full (like fish)? Do I need to just put food out a few times a day or keep their food dish full at all times? Thanks for all your help!

Quote:
they need to have feed 24/7. they will not eat more than they should. starter food is great. Did you get med. or non? either is okay. they need water 24/7 too.

Ducklings should always have food available. The chic starter for ducklings MUST be non-medicated...they eat so much in one feeding that they can overdose on the meds in the medicated food.

Congratulations! The Starter feed should be fine. I would go with non-medicated just in case, but my feed store didn't even have medicated so I didn't have to choose
idunno.gif
Ducklins don't over eat and should have food and water at all times.
Pictures?
Good luck!

Hooray for the babies!

Niacin is something to think about if using chick starter for ducklings. Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks states that ducklings need three times the amount of niacin that chicks do. I have also read that it's not consistent across the board. Some ducklings seem okay with less niacin, some suffer fatal neurological problems.

A sprinkle of brewer's yeast on their food may be a good precaution. Or you could add some niacin to their water. Storey's Guide only makes a recommendation in the case of niacin deficiency, which is 100 - 150 mg of niacin per gallon of water until they are about ten weeks old (this is from memory - you may want to check this out).

Most medicated feed now is made with amprollum, which is a vitamin based med, not an antibiotic. It is OK for ducks. Years ago, the meds in medicated feed weren't good for ducks. That has changed.

Quote:
never heard that before.

oh yeah my breeder said the same thing. DONT GIVE YOUR DUCK MEDICATED FOOD.. they it could/will kill them. if your worried about not having medicated food then put apple cider viniger in with your water. it acts as an "orgnic" way to medicate them also keep the water from getting all slimy.

Back
Top Bottom