~1 week old chick especially sleepy and pasty

AngeliqueR

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2016
San Dimas
One of my chicks is constantly sleepy when the other chicks are active. They're mostly sleeping at night / mostly active in the daytime (I have a motion-sensitive camera so I know when they're inactive). The other chicks check in on her and wake her up, but it rarely leads to her heading out to eat or drink. When she is awake she seems okay, but I'm not experienced so I don't know--even when I hold her she calms and gets sleepy in mere seconds. She's in a cozy corner but fairly far from the heat lamp so I doubt she's over or under-heated (the other chicks are favoring the coolest corner, which makes sense because the air temp should be in the mid-80's in the sun room so just residual heat from the lamp should be plenty especially since they're moving around). She's also my only chick with a possible pasty butt, I've had to clean it daily (following the warm water/cotton ball method). It always seems like her vent isn't truly plugged, but there's so much stuck to her I clean it anyways.

She's an adorable buff laced Polish and I would be so sad to lose her. She's also the only one of her breed in my brooder so I can't compare her to a sibling, but they were all born in the same 48 hour period so they are approximately the same age. Any ideas to improve her outcome, or should I just relax and chalk it up to temperament?

Sounds like it could be coccidosis. Symptoms include excessive sleepiness, fluffed up apearence, runny stool with or without blood, lethergic behavior. If you believe she has this I would treat the WHOLE FLOCK with Amprollium also known as Corid, as soon as possible. Feed stores carry the Corid. (AMPROLLIUM ) Hope this helps. Not all forms of coccidosis make bloody stool. Look up online coccidosis and read about it. Only you know the behavior of your chick. If you think she possibly has this treat with the Amprollium. Are they on medicated feed? She does look in the picture like it is possible. They can catch it from stool in the brooder and its very very common for young chicks.

Last edited:
She's probably sleepier as a result of the diarrhea--not only is her body and immune system diverting her energy to fighting it, but in addition the diarrhea indicates that there's something abnormal going on in the digestive system (so she may not be able to absorb all the energy provided through her food).

I see the water is colored, so you have some sort of treatment going on. Diarrhea will cause an electrolyte imbalance, so supplementing those is indicated. Supporting a healthy microflora through the use of probiotics will also help right imbalances promote proper digestion. Vitamin supplementation will correct any deficiencies present before she even hatched.

For sick chicks (and those recovering from hatching/shipping/etc. stresses, I really like Poultry Nutri-drench as it also includes a few key amino acids as well as quick energy in the form of molasses and sugar. I do fermented feed, but used Probios powder to quick-start my culture, and that is a form of probiotics that can easily be added to feed or water. It may not help to treat them for coccidiosis at this age, but it certainly doesn't hurt as long as you use amprolium (as opposed to sulfa drugs) like realsis recommended.

Thanks, I'll contact the feed store, I purchased them at my local feed store so I'm sure they'll help me out. I believe these chicks are vaccinated; I went two weeks ago and they said all the chicks were vaccinated but these babies hatched after that; maybe this batch hadn't been vaccinated yet or came from a different supplier. If they have been vaccinated is it still possible some or all are sick? If they were infected when vaccinated they'd still need treatment right?

Do I need to do a thorough disinfecting of their living environment if I get amprollium? I don't mind I'm just asking if it's essential; I was already going to change the bedding today but I have an alternate box I could move them into if necessary.

The water is actually showing the reflection of the yellow tray + red light, it's just water!
wink.png
I can also ask the feed store about electrolyte solution.

I tried giving the chicks plain yogurt mixed with their feed and they were not at all into it. If other supplements are using molasses or sugar then I assume it's safe to sweeten the yogurt a bit to entice them?

Thanks, I'll contact the feed store, I purchased them at my local feed store so I'm sure they'll help me out. I believe these chicks are vaccinated; I went two weeks ago and they said all the chicks were vaccinated but these babies hatched after that; maybe this batch hadn't been vaccinated yet or came from a different supplier. If they have been vaccinated is it still possible some or all are sick? If they were infected when vaccinated they'd still need treatment right?

Do I need to do a thorough disinfecting of their living environment if I get amprollium? I don't mind I'm just asking if it's essential; I was already going to change the bedding today but I have an alternate box I could move them into if necessary.

There are different types of chick vaccinations. The most common is Marek's, although one for coccidiosis is available. Might want to check to see which one)s) were potentially given.

With treatment of a case of coccidiosis, the important thing to know is that most drugs are "coccidiostats" not "coccidiocides", meaning they inhibit the growth and reproduction of the coccidial organism but do not kill it. The body's immune system is expected to kill it once it is not being overwhelmed by new organisms hatching out. So, the infected chick will still be passing infected droppings and can reinfect themselves from it. So, this is why you change the bedding and disinfect EVERY DAY when treating. A pain in the rear.

The water is actually showing the reflection of the yellow tray + red light, it's just water! ;)  I can also ask the feed store about electrolyte solution.

I tried giving the chicks plain yogurt mixed with their feed and they were not at all into it. If other supplements are using molasses or sugar then I assume it's safe to sweeten the yogurt a bit to entice them?

See if they carry Poultry Nutri-drench specifically if you can. If not, then you can make due with what they have in stock.
Yogurt is a nice treat, but the probiotic supplements are much more concentrated sources of the good bacteria. If you want them to eat the yogurt, try sprinkling the top of it with their crumble...chicks/chickens tend to be pretty wary about new things. You can add honey (preferably) or sugar to their water for quick energy, although too much can *cause* diarrhea, so use a light hand or just feed it to the sick chick via dropper.

I now have a lifetime supply of Corid (they had only 1 size), and I got the electrolyte and probiotic powders. They were really excited about their new fancy water, even my sick chick drank it down. I hadn't inspected her in person before going to the feed store (I was going off of what I saw remotely on chick-cam), her butt was the pastiest it has been yet--definitely in need of treatment.

Changing the wood chips isn't a big deal because I bought a giant bag but I only have one other box, is it safe to line the bottom with newspaper so I can throw all of it away every day? Also, I had wanted to save my used wood chips for blueberry bushes. Is coccidiosis transmittable to dogs, wildlife or humans?

Lastly the electrolyte packet and probiotics say to change water daily. I clean the dish part daily but do I have to throw away all that unused treated water each day?

Back
Top Bottom