1 week old easter egger chic with impacted crop?

I dumped her feed out right in front of her and she gobbled it up. She's laying with her head normal now, just like when she sleeps. I'm going to keep pushing foods and liquid and vitamins. Hopefully she'll come around.

I got 2 more drops of vitamins and she's drank 3.5 mls of electrolyte/probiotic solution since 5:30p. I hope she makes it through the night.

She may just need a bit more attention. Keep pushing the water so she stays hydrated and the vitamins. The Poly Vi Sol can take a couple of days to make a difference. Feed her what ever she will eat.

Keep us posted!! :)

Well she made it through the night. This morning she drank on her own, while laying down, and even ate what i sprinkled in front of her. I still syringed 2ml of electrolyte into her and this afternoon she drank the solution on her own! She seems to be making more of an effort to stand today. Flapping her wings a lot but still unsuccessful.

Well she made it through the night. This morning she drank on her own, while laying down, and even ate what i sprinkled in front of her. I still syringed 2ml of electrolyte into her and this afternoon she drank the solution on her own! She seems to be making more of an effort to stand today. Flapping her wings a lot but still unsuccessful.
Sounds like you are seeing some progress. She just may be slow to develop. I would continue with what you are doing and hopefully she continues to improve.

Keep up with the Poly Vi Sol. They will help her with standing. But it takes time to gain strength. Don't give up her and keep the vitamins coming!

Keep us posted and I sure hope you can get her completely healed!! :)

Last edited:
She ate another good bit and is pecking at the dropper now when i get her out. Much more alert than yesterday as well. She seems to have a good appetite. Her legs however have zero strength. The odd this is she was walking around fine for a good 4 or 5 days. Wondering if she just didnt put up on eating and drinking like the others did. We brought her in 2 days after the other 4 chicks.

Last edited:
If you have any vitamin E and selenium, you might put a couple of drops of E in her mouth and about 25mcg of Selenium in some eggs or something she will eat. Along with the Poly Vi Sol. The E and Selenium will help with weakness. If she is continuing to improve, keep up with all you are doing. Weakness can take days to over come.

Keep us posted! :)

About the same this morning as yesterday. Still very alert and she tries so hard to stand. She is eating quite a bit of starter every time i get herr out of the brooder. She also LOVES the electrolyte solution. She's catching on to the poly vi sol though as she would not eat/drink it this morning lol. I managed to get it down her but she did not care for it at all. I don't have any vitamin e or selenium, do you think this is essential in order for her to walk again? I do have vitamin d gelcaps. I attempted to squeeze so onto her beak but again she was not having it. Im going to try to squeeze a few capsules into her water the next time i get her out.

I'm not sure if this will work, but I had a 1 year old Australorp, that had a massive crop, a lot bigger then the rest of the chickens. She was getting trampled, pecked at and more. So, we took her out and quanantied her. We rubbed her crop and put her upside down until she threw up, which made the crop much smaller. We then gave her a warm bath, dried her off and put her back in her container. She started eating, drinking etc. and in no time was back in the barn (1-2 weeks).

Her crop is now back to normal. Now she just wont walk or is just too weak to walk. We seem to be making progress though.

Back
Top Bottom