1 Year Old Wyandotte Can't Hold her head up suddenly- UPDATED with happy ending šŸ˜

So sorry about your hen. Is she able to stand at all or walk? Does she free range where there could be a small stream or a compost bed? Botulism comes on quickly, and the paralysis it causes goes from the feet, to wings, eyelids and breathing muscles causing death within 24 hours. Other possible problems could be a poison, or lead shot or paint chips in the ground, vitamin E deficiency, or a head injury. Mareks could still be possibly even with vaccination, but hopefully it isnā€™t that. I would continue to make sure that she is getting food and water, and giving the vitamins daily for at least 2 weeks. If she goes downhill and dies, then a necropsy by your state vet would be good to seek. Let us know how she gets along. This list has most state vet labs to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

So sorry about your hen. Is she able to stand at all or walk? Does she free range where there could be a small stream or a compost bed? Botulism comes on quickly, and the paralysis it causes goes from the feet, to wings, eyelids and breathing muscles causing death within 24 hours. Other possible problems could be a poison, or lead shot or paint chips in the ground, vitamin E deficiency, or a head injury. Mareks could still be possibly even with vaccination, but hopefully it isnā€™t that. I would continue to make sure that she is getting food and water, and giving the vitamins daily for at least 2 weeks. If she goes downhill and dies, then a necropsy by your state vet would be good to seek. Let us know how she gets along. This list has most state vet labs to contact:
I am giving her water and food, she can stand and her eyes remain open. She was attempting to preen, but she is still weak and lethargic. This is a video I just took. What else can I do for her?

She does not free range by a stream, the coop and run are clean and she is with her 8 flockmate hens, all which are okay. It hasn't rained here for most of the spring, last storm we had was a week ago. We don't use pesticides on our garden and they haven't had any treats or new food changes recently.

I've lost chickens to botulism. They get very sick very quickly, and their poop was watery with a milky mucous. What is penny's poop like? It appears she's making progress.
Her poop was quite normal through today, but now that she has slowed eating her poop is a little watery. She is walking and standing so I am hopeful it is not botulism šŸ¤žšŸ»

@mrskenmore , since you questioned what could have caused her symptoms to come on so suddenly, I am still curious how that uneaten daffodil leaf got inside her coop. Daffodil ingestion causes intestinal upset, but severe symptoms include seizures. If she had eaten the leaf, it would have caused much more severe symptoms and probably killed her. But if she only nibbled on the leaf, got the toxin on her tongue and swallowed it, that alone might have been enough to cause symptoms, since all parts of a daffodil are so highly toxic. Ultimately all that matters is that her symptoms subside, but still...

Back
Top Bottom