10 new Cahntecler chicks------Family first timers

ChickenFamilyof5

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 3, 2009
Meaford
So my son and i headed out and picked up everything we needed to get started for our first time raising chickens. We got the brooder all set up and warmed it up, then headed out to a friends house who gave us 10, 3 day old White Chantecler chicks. The kids can`t leave them alone, they were up at 6am...........yelling Mommy,Daddy...can we go see the chicks.

I didn`t realize how much food they would actually eat. They ate a noticiable ammount out of the feeder and everything i put on the floor(newspaper).

Still a little confused about how much light to give them. I have a red heat lamp for warmth, but when do I start cutting back the white light and how much??

Thanks
Brad

I will post some pics later today there are pretty cute

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new babies! Do you have a thermometer in the brooder? They should start out at 90 to 95 and then raise the heat source to lower the temp by 5 degrees each week. They don't need white light, just the red for warmth. Red bulbs are suppose to minimize picking on each other.
Are you using anything on top of the newspaper? Paper alone can cause spraddle leg issues, until their leg muscles develope more. I always use paper towels on top of newspaper the first 2 weeks, then go to pine shavings( no cedar), as they absorb the smell and moisture better. The paper towels are easy to change daily, or twice a day with that many in the brooder.
There will always be feed scratched out of the dish. You can place the feed dish inside a larger shallow container, like a flower pot bottom, so that what they scratch out stays more confined. Once they are a little older you can place the dish on blocks as to eliminate a lot of waste. Just keep the food no higher than their backs, so they can still reach it.

Good Luck and enjoy them
big_smile.png

Bantybev has some good advice! I only used paper towels on top of the shavings for the first week or so of life, so if your chicks are 3-4 days old, you will probably only need it for a few more days. I gave free access to food and water 24/7 (and still do!). Just like infants, they'll eat all times of day and night. Using the flower pot base is a good idea to help confine the crumbs. This way they'll peck and eat from the base too. If your feeder is the long type instead of the round one, you can use the lid from a shoebox, etc to help confine the spill over. Yes, chicks are messy...but oh, so cute!
smile.png

I got my chicks yesterday and couldn't believe how much they were eating. Just like little pigs
wink.png

If they continue eating like that they will go through the 50 lbs bag of start&grow in about a week
tongue.png

Mine just have the red heat bulb and they are in our unfinished basement right by the window/french door, so they get lots of natural light.

Thanks everyone. I have a thermometer but not trusting it right now, so for a little piece of mind i'm going to pick up a new one. They seem to be doing well on the news paper, but they did come from Pine shavings so probably going to switch them over today.

Keep the ideas coming everthing helps

BlackCreek119.jpg

BlackCreek118.jpg

BlackCreek113.jpg

They seem to be happy. Eating a ton. moving to Wood chips tomorrow. Birds are a little shy of the kids, any tips on socializing the chicks to the kids?? or the kids to the chicks.....lol

just keep picking them up and making contact.. they will get used to you.. each has its own personality so you may find a couple who never get really friendly and others who are content to just sit on your shoulder while you sit at your computer or watch tv.. newspaper not so good. it is slippery and they can get leg problems .. use something they can grip. paper towels. rubber shelf liners. pine, NO cedar shavings. etc.. good luck with your new chicks

Boys and girls are filling out nicely.
IMG_3498.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

Didn't take long for this large tupperware brooder to be cramped for space. Just moved them to a larger box and they seem to love it.
IMG_3493.jpg

Thanks everyone for the help. kids are loving their new little pets

Back
Top Bottom