10 week old buff brahma sex?

hi! sorry for the delay in updating. he is definitely a ROOSTER! a very very handsome little man. here is an updated photo. I don't know his exact weight, but I'll say with certainty that he is one of the largest roosters that I've ever seen. he is thick and stout, very very friendly and docile. we can handle him, pick him up, pet him (he tucks his head down and closes his eyes), an all around good little fellow. he's definitely the ladies man if ya know what I mean! he has 4 ladies in his flock :) I tried to get a clear picture but he is hard to make stand still!

hi! sorry for the delay in updating. he is definitely a ROOSTER! a very very handsome little man. here is an updated photo. I don't know his exact weight, but I'll say with certainty that he is one of the largest roosters that I've ever seen. he is thick and stout, very very friendly and docile. we can handle him, pick him up, pet him (he tucks his head down and closes his eyes), an all around good little fellow. he's definitely the ladies man if ya know what I mean! he has 4 ladies in his flock
smile.png
I tried to get a clear picture but he is hard to make stand still!

He surely is a hansom and healthy looking Rooster
thumbsup.gif

hi! sorry for the delay in updating. he is definitely a ROOSTER! a very very handsome little man. here is an updated photo. I don't know his exact weight, but I'll say with certainty that he is one of the largest roosters that I've ever seen. he is thick and stout, very very friendly and docile. we can handle him, pick him up, pet him (he tucks his head down and closes his eyes), an all around good little fellow. he's definitely the ladies man if ya know what I mean! he has 4 ladies in his flock
smile.png
I tried to get a clear picture but he is hard to make stand still!

He is beautiful! I am more and more convinced our 10 weeker is a cockerel. Just wish we could keep him!

My Buff Brahma is about 3 1/2 weeks old. "She" is doing lots of chest bumping and when one of the other chicks returns to the brooder, she races up to it as if it is a bug to be caught and eaten. Starting to suspect roo. Other thing is the tail feathers. First to develop tail (which suggested girl to me) but then we have a second layer of tail feather puffs on top of the initial feathers that make me think "undefined tail" like a roo. I know it is pretty early and they are young still, but my last suspected roo turned out to be roo based on those two factors. I'm still new at this though. I also have a Buff Orpington same age and am thinking "she" might turn roo, too. Very small new tail seems a bit late. Also, will chest bump with the Brahma.

Pic of 2.5 weeks but still looks virtually the same.

I appreciate all the posts. Nothing new to report at nearly 6 weeks. Seems like this will take another 6 weeks or more to be sure.

I appreciate all the posts. Nothing new to report at nearly 6 weeks. Seems like this will take another 6 weeks or more to be sure.
welcome-byc.gif

At 6 weeks, if the bird is decently feathered, we may be able to tell by color. Post a profile pic in good lighting and we'll take a look. But as mentioned, Brahmas are giants, and slower to mature.

OK. I took more pictures and I also really took a close look. I am really leaning toward rooster, but I may just not not this breed ( I am a one of this, one of that backyarder). The tail feathers all come to points rather than broad blunt tips. I saw a video that indicated that pointy tail feathers indicate rooster. (not the saddle feathers, just the tail feathers--too young for saddle/hackle feathers). The behavior also suggests rooster to me. The marans (same age) has same amount of red in waddle but that is just a marans. I don't know if this is also typical of brahma. Finally, in taking photos today, I really think that we are getting darker feathers coming in which also makes me think roo. The primary wing feathers are darker than the original feathers and their are pin feathers coming in at the neck that are much darker, more red than the buff color of the original feathering. I understand the roosters are darker, more red than the hens.

Back
Top Bottom