10 Week old Golden Comets

PhilipNat4

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2015
Arrived home this morning to find one dead golden comet and another very lethargic. She will not open her eyes nor eat at this point. No issues till today.. The birds are all outside in the coop separate from our laying hens. Temps here have been cool in North Texas but not what I'd call cold. They are all eating well and up till today were active. Only the two comets seem ill. They have a heat lamp in an open area of the coop to remain warm if they need some additional heat but most, if not all, seem not to need it. Ideas?

Thanks.

How does their poop look? I would keep the lethargic chick warm and if possible give her a bit of sugar water in an eye dropper.

I don't see anything that looks abnormal as far as poop is concerned. We've tried to get her to eat/drink and she won't open her beak at all. She's inside wrapped up so she's warm enough. It seems strange that this is the second comet that seems ill. Other breeds are fine.

I'm having issues myself in up in Massachusetts I have 2 Easter eggers sick I think none of the others are I have 6 comets a RI red rooster 3 silkies that are 4 months there roosters and a few others only 2 are doing odd things and I'm confused what to do

I don't see anything that looks abnormal as far as poop is concerned. We've tried to get her to eat/drink and she won't open her beak at all. She's inside wrapped up so she's warm enough. It seems strange that this is the second comet that seems ill. Other breeds are fine.

Are the other breeds also 10 weeks? That is very small and not fully feathered.

Yes, all are same age. I was able to get about a teaspoon of sugar water down her. She's inside resting. Temps here have been all over the place. Cool to about 55 at night then up to upper 70's and even mid 90's. Other breeds seem to be tolerating the temps. The coop is insulated and has wind breaks.

Yes, all are same age. I was able to get about a teaspoon of sugar water down her. She's inside resting. Temps here have been all over the place. Cool to about 55 at night then up to upper 70's and even mid 90's. Other breeds seem to be tolerating the temps. The coop is insulated and has wind breaks.

I would try giving her a little sugar water every hour or so, if she perks up maybe offer her some scrambled egg (cooked in anything but a non-stick pan).

Also keep a close eye on the other golden comets and bring them in if they start looking a little peaked.

Last edited:
I've been doing just that but she isn't perking up at all. Others seem fine. No idea.

Thanks for your help.

Bird is still hanging in there but not responding to anything. Poop is stringy, not solid with whitish solids. No blood. Would coccidiosis set in overnight? They were absolutely fine yesterday. One dead this morning and one hanging by a thread. Others seem to be just fine. Eating and doing well.

Sadly, our 10 week old died this morning. I checked on her before making my morning school run and she was still hanging in there but by the time I got back she had died. Still no idea what took those two birds so very suddenly. The remaining 13 are just fine and show no signs of stress.

Back
Top Bottom