12 chicks have hatched under broody hen, what should I do next?

Abbyandherchicks

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2023
I had 12 fertile eggs. im still waiting on some more to hatch under my brooday hen. I have decided to let her take care of them but I have no idea what to feed them, where to put them, if I should move them, or touch them? Please can I have some advice

Where are they in the moment? Are they in with other chooks, or on their own?
In general, all you need to do is put food out for them (chick starter, its good for the hen as well) and water. The water dish should be shallow so they can't drown in it. I like to use something colorful for it, as then they learn that that colour means water and helps them find it.
It doesn't matter if you touch them, but there isn't much need to either.

Welcome to BYC, btw! Would love to see a photo if you have one : )

As long as they are safe from predators and possibly other chickens (depending on how the react to them), they should be fine. Food and water in shallow containers. Momma will teach them what they need to know. Make sure wherever you put them has something besides chicken wire over it. I’ve learned the hard way that chicken wire is only good to keep the chickens in, it doesn’t keep everything else out. A baby chick makes an easy meal for possums, raccoons, rats etc. Hardwear cloth is the way to go.

The chicks need to eat chick starter/grower or all-flock/flock raiser feed. This is also fine for mama hen and the other flock members to eat if you choose to let your broody raise her chicks within the flock. If you do this, make sure to provide oyster shell on the side for your laying hens.

Since you expect a fairly large clutch of chicks, pictured below are pictures of a flip-top chick feeder and a 1 gallon chick waterer. My broodies usually hatch clutches of 10-12 chicks, and these are what I use.
1695612142952.png

1695612236218.png

Here are 2 articles about broody hens and chicks that should help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rst-turkey-strut-to-weaning-the-chicks.76878/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-letting-broody-hens-hatch-and-raise-chicks.65989/

Attachments

• 1695611977039.png
    1695611977039.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 4
Congratulations! In a day or two, mama hen will start taking her chicks on excursions to teach them how to peck and scratch for bugs and other goodies. While she does this, remove any unhatched eggs from the nest. You can either dispose of them or attempt to hatch them in an incubator if you have one. You should first candle them to see if they are viable. The hen can't hatch them once she starts raising her brood.

If you need inspiration on a makeshift chick coop to put them and mum in, see what I've done in my thread with my one week old chicks! It's so exciting!

I bought this wooden house from amazon, which seems to be working for a hen and 3 chicks! It's inside a run outside, and she is looking after them just fine by herself! Doing a way better job than I could.

please look at my new post about my 9/12 eggs hatched. I think they might still hatch, please look at my situation on my post. I have to move them but the eggs are showing sines of hatching. Please please please help
im running out of time. I’m on day three. And I have to move them into a brooder!!

please look at my new post about my 9/12 eggs hatched. I think they might still hatch, please look at my situation on my post. I have to move them but the eggs are showing sines of hatching. Please please please help
im running out of time. I’m on day three. And I have to move them into a brooder!!
What post are you wanting us to look at? Did you start a new thread, or do you mean your Opening Post on this thread? If you mean this OP, here are some answers: yes, you can handle your baby chicks. You can supply some chick starter to feed them; the mama hen can eat that, too. Don't forget to supply some chick grit in a separate bowl for your babies; they'll need it because mama hen will be feeding then goodies other than the chick starter, which has some grit in it. They will also need water. As for the remaining eggs, if mama is not staying on the nest, they will get cold and die. Unless you have an incubator to put them in or another broody to tuck them under. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom