12 dead birds and charges filed *update 1st court date today*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
State laws require each county to have an appointed animal control authority. The county clerk told me that a contract was entered into a few years ago with the Nebraska Humane Society for them to be the designated as the animal control authority for the county. I am sure that there is some payment to them involved in the agreement. The designated animal control authority is responsible for picking up dangerous dogs, and owners of dangerous dogs are required by law to show proof of compliance with the dangerous dog ordinances to the animal control authority. Basically, the humane society can be asked to pick up dangerous dogs or monitor compliance. Owners of dogs deemed to be dangerous have to prove they either euthanized the dog or got it micro-chipped and spayed/neutered and have an adequate enclosure for it. If the owner doesn't comply, the designated animal control authority can notify law enforcement. Their responsibility is not to act as law enforcement, just pick up dogs and monitor compliance. BTW, the Nebraska Humane Society gets a lot of it's funding from tax dollars. Nebraska is in their name, but they are really mainly the Omaha Humane Society. The city pays them for animal control, and they get dog licensing fees. The county pays them for animal control on a case by case basis.

Well, if it's anything like here in Colorado they'll only have to go before the traffic court judge. The district attorney will meet with them briefly, decided on a plea bargain, the DA will reccommend that judgement to the judge. The judge will take 2 mins with them and pass judgement that was decided on by the people and the DA and they'll be on their way. They do that so the people have to pay the $40 court fee. But the problem ususally gets taken care of.

Quote:
This varies county by county, and humane society by humane society. Some HS have contracts to act as or in conjunction with animal control in their counties, some do not. For instance, where I used to live in Knox County, the Humane Society of the Tennessee Valley had the animal control contract for years and years. Eventually, though, they decided to go no-kill. At that point they terminated the contract, which was then picked up by another group. So you always have to check the specific humane society to know whether it's associated with AC or not!

Thanks guys, I honestly didn't realize that Humane Society's had contracts with gov't agencies. Once you start taking the tax dollars then the gov't agency then generally wants some say so in how things are run.
My suggestion would be if they have a contract to do something and they say they are not I would first go to my local councilman/women to let them know the contract is not being fulfilled and I would call them (humane society) until they did something just to get rid of me.

Good luck and I hope you get every cent due you.

hit.gif
i felt like crying when i read about peter. i am glad justice is served!

It looks like the court date is Monday, November 17th. At this point he just has to show up and say guilty or not guilty. The City Prosecutor is so not on top of it they didn't even know the date yet. The Sheriff's Dept told me. Hopefully, he just pleads guilty, and I get my restitution and the dogs are taken care of.

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loses. We have come to the conclusion that if it a Humane Society that is in any way shape or form related to the USHS, they aren't really there for me and my animals. They wouldn't push to have dogs put down even if they killed a whole flock or even your kid. I am glad that your local sheriff's office is so diligent in following the law and working with you to get this problem taken care of. Keep us updated. You, your family and your flock are in our prayers.

I know from experience that the ONLY way anything will be followed thru with and the ONLY way this guy will be held responsible is if YOU keep on top of it. Call weekly to check the court date. Call the county prosecuter several times to offer evidence. Make it really clear you aren't going to wander off and let the case die from lack of interest.

I guarantee if you don't be a bother then the court date will keep getting bumped out again and again and again until finally it's not rescheduled.

Quote:
Hi Critter,

Interesting. Your advice is also my experience too! Stay on top of it, because their lawyer can get innumerable extensions and wear you out. OBJECT to them every time. Do not allow justice to be held for sale, denial or delay. One can even ask to sit at the prosecutor's table for every appearance and it would usually be granted.

Seems like our advice is echoed by a worthless judge who had a widow lady like our Jody asking to be avenged. While he feared neither God nor man, the lady was a force not to be reckoned with: Luke 18:1-6

Sicum Girl!
wink.png

Sky~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom