Please keep my girl in your thoughts. Sorry for another long post

Bartonsfinest

Songster
Jul 13, 2022
Barton Ohio
I have been a chicken tender for a little over 2 and half years now. Little back story about me before I commit to anything I literally will beat the subject to death research it till you can't find anymore information on it. That way Im not ignorant to whatever the subject matter is that I have been researching or whatever I'm about ready to commit to. so before I had gotten my two first chickens I literally for 9 months did nothing but research and Google and reading and just any anything possible so that I had some type of knowledge of what I was getting myself into before I got these chickens I didn't want to bring these chickens home and not know what the **** I'm doing. So doing my research I was reading about predators and attacks and what likes your chickens and everything like that and you know I thought for the most part I was either a prepared or would you know know what to do if this ever if I had a predator attack happen boy was I WRONG SO WRONG! No more free reaching for my girls yesterday a hawk came down and attacked my 9 month old Appenzeller spitz ironically her name is hawk. It was very traumatizing my 14 year old daughter is the one that stumbled upon the graphic attack my daughter came in the house and she was pale white I've never seen her look like that or that tone in her voice but like I said it was very traumatic and poor Miss hawk which I changed her name her name is now Erica Jr so EJ for short prayer for junior is currently very injured she is alive we have two black sex links that are big a Jersey Giant and and two other nine month old hens that are of large breed they were unhurt none of them were hurt but two of my chickens did were they we couldn't find them after the attack it took about 3 and 1/2 hours until we found our second one our Jersey Giant was hiding in the house next door's doorway my husband had walked around the property and found her and then are my black sex links McNuggets was bedded down somewhere in our backyard and she just came out right before dusk and when she heard my husband's voice and they were both fine no problems they were just shaking up and traumatized and my other black sex links at the time was in the chicken coop Laying a egg she was unaware of what was going on. This happened at 4:00 in the evening yesterday. I was in my bedroom at the time and it's facing towards the yard where they free range I did not hear a thing at all when this was going on not a thing and I normally hear everything when something's wrong than Chickens went outside before I wanted to hop into the shower and I checked on them it was about quarter after 3:00 and they were fine they were in their Coop just laying down there pouting because it's been snowing here and it's been cold and yards of swamp so they were pissed cuz they don't want to go out and get their feet all money and stuff so they were kind of pouting when I went and check them and stuff I was like he was okay and everything was talking to him and I walked out of the coop and hawk and omelette mother had started to follow me out and I said no you guys just go back in there and I went back in the house and around 4:08 my daughter comes running and telling me that we've been attacked and I can't help but feel responsible because if I wouldn't have went out there and checked on them they wouldn't have came out the coop I'm hawk is smaller she's about the same size as the hawk he I'm pretty sure she lost her right eye it's packed out and her left side of her face looks like it's he has severe road rash and she has a puncture wound on her neck I did clean it it took me a long time to get it done because I was so distraught I kept throwing up and I was so upset I could have been panic attacks out of my husband she I try to remain calm as much as I could for her but I did end up getting it cleaned out and I had to stop and give her a couple breaks cuz I needed a break and I got her separated from the flock and she's in my house and my bathroom which is in the next room and I've been checking on her and changing her bandages and syringe feeding her electrolyte water and I've been putting aspirin into her water for pain and antibiotics and broth. She hasn't try to open her left eye I'm pretty damn sure that her right eye is gone I think it's been it looks like it was packed out I'm not ready to post pictures on here yet I know that's stupid for me to come on here and explain this post not post pictures I'm just not ready for it yet I think I don't want to hear that I have to cull her. I know that that's not a humane thing to do if the animal suffering do they keep letting her suffer but I want to give her at least 48 hours as long as I'm keeping her comfortable and she doesn't seem like she's in pain to see how it goes I did try to contact three different vets where I live there is not a avian vet close it is about a hour away the closest one and it's going to completely different state and what the receptionist told me if she still going to be in shock that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to pack her into a car and driver an hour away plus it wouldn't be just an hour because there are road construction going on that route and there's different detours so she said it probably took me about an hour 20 minutes hour 30 minutes depending on traffic and I don't think that was a good idea at the time I still don't the other one is in Columbus any other ones down in West Virginia. We are in the process of building a fenced-in roof and run attached to their Coop but the weather has not been kind to us here I live in Ohio and it's been freezing cold one week blizzard next week and then it's raining I live on a hill and my yard is a swamp nothing but mud and it wouldn't it would just be a waste and very muddy to try and put the run in while my yard is like this. Send me time I don't know what to do with my girls I have a screened in front porch or nothing to get to him I thought about picking him up one by one and bring him onto some porch put hang on and give him some you know leg room I don't feel comfortable with even sitting out there with him in the yard I'm by myself most of the day I'm only 5'4 I doubt I could do any damage I have dogs but they're they don't care they're just they're dogs third little pussy dogs we're not little ones a pickled animation black collapse they don't really give a shit so if anybody has any ideas about how to entertain my flock until my husband gets the run up which probably will be next week I would appreciate it and like I said when I'm ready I will post pictures of EJ's wounds and I'll keep everyone updated

First off, NOTHING can fully prepare you for a predator attack. When it happens, you just have to do whatever you can in the best way that you can. I understand how hard it is to care for a chicken that has serious injuries; I've had to deal with some stomach-turning situations, too.

Do whatever you can for your injured girl; chickens can be more resilient than we often think. It sounds like you are doing your best for her. IF she ends up losing vision, she can still have a life worth living. Animals adapt to their "handicaps" much better than people do.

I am sorry for your hen, your daughter and you. Blaming yourself won't help. I once lost three hens to a mink attack because One Night, I forgot to close the coop door. I ran out in time to save the remaining hen because my house dog alerted me. I beat myself up for a long, long time. Wasted effort, except to remind me to ALWAYS lock them up every single night.

Your other chickens will be spooked and traumatized for a while. Keeping everyone safe has to be a priority, and if that means keeping them in the fenced in porch or in their coops, do that. Iowa had a major blizzard recently and all my poultry had to spend DAYS in their coops. They may have been bored, but they were safe.

As the snow is melting, everything is, like at your place, a muddy mess. All my coops have runs, but most of the chickens prefer to stay indoors and keep themselves cleaner.

Keep us posted, please, on how she is doing.

She is actually doing ok I'm not 100% sure but I think her right eye wasn't pecked out she still can't see and I can't get her to eat solids or drink water on her own hm. So I have set a feeding and water schedule up for right now she's in a kennel in my bathroom with a baby monitor. She doesn't seem like she's in any pain she is super skiddish only wants me. She got a bath yesterday. I've been giving her baby water and unflavored Pedialyte off and on with a 81 mg of aspirin in a syringe she drinks about 4 or 5 full syringes of water every 2 hours I did buy her baby food I didn't know what to get her liquid for her to eat she has been eating 1 and half syringe of the baby food I didn't buy any meat flavored baby food just veggies and fruits she seems to like it I had amoxicillin left over from my dog when I was calling around looking for a avian vet I asked a few of them if I could give her any amoxicillin told me to give her 15 mg for 3 to 5 days twice daily and give her 5 low dose 81 mg aspirin per 1 gallon of water for 5 days then weene her off so one day give her the aspirin in the next day don't give her aspirin and then start by giving her a couple like three aspirin per gallon of water just like slowly take an aspirin and a half out of the equation every other day or if I think she's ok without it just not give it to her. We have one problem where she is injured at I can't get any dressings to stay on I have tried and tried and they won't stay so I've been cleaning the wound which is a puncture on her left side of her neck kinda going down into her chest she's very lucky it didn't get her heart or juggler I've been alternating between warm soapy water with antibacterial Dawn saline solution and diluted iodine solution three times a day and putting on Neosporin with a popsicle stick on the on her neck and kind of just leaving it alone no bedding in the kennel a blanket so that it would stay clean and nobody's been handling her but me and I wash my hands constantly I got some pictures I'm going to post them now after I post this post of her wounds if they're not very good I'm sorry it's just been a very traumatic couple of daysI got some pictures I'm going to post them now after I post this post of her wounds if they're not very good I'm sorry it's just been a very traumatic couple of days

This is her right side I've cleaned it I wasn't sure if I should put anything on her eye. That's her only injury on her right side
IMG_20240130_201336952.jpg

This is the left side of her face
First off, NOTHING can fully prepare you for a predator attack. When it happens, you just have to do whatever you can in the best way that you can. I understand how hard it is to care for a chicken that has serious injuries; I've had to deal with some stomach-turning situations, too.

Do whatever you can for your injured girl; chickens can be more resilient than we often think. It sounds like you are doing your best for her. IF she ends up losing vision, she can still have a life worth living. Animals adapt to their "handicaps" much better than people do.

I am sorry for your hen, your daughter and you. Blaming yourself won't help. I once lost three hens to a mink attack because One Night, I forgot to close the coop door. I ran out in time to save the remaining hen because my house dog alerted me. I beat myself up for a long, long time. Wasted effort, except to remind me to ALWAYS lock them up every single night.

Your other chickens will be spooked and traumatized for a while. Keeping everyone safe has to be a priority, and if that means keeping them in the fenced in porch or in their coops, do that. Iowa had a major blizzard recently and all my poultry had to spend DAYS in their coops. They may have been bored, but they were safe.

As the snow is melting, everything is, like at your place, a muddy mess. All my coops have runs, but most of the chickens prefer to stay indoors and keep themselves cleaner.

Keep us posted, please, on how she is doing.
Thank you for your kind words you don't even understand how nice it help opening up the response to my post I really really do appreciate this your kind words and you're absolutely right I'd rather have bored chickens than dead or hurt chickens she's got a long road ahead of her but I think that she's going to be just fine something in this world wants her to live because she's going through so much in the eight months that she's been alive that should have killed her that would have killed probably any other chicken but she managed to stick her middle raptor claw up to the universe saying like F you I'm not going anywhere she will no longer be a backyard chicken she is now a house chicken

Attachments

• IMG_20240130_201423602_AE.jpg
    IMG_20240130_201423602_AE.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 6
I'm glad to hear that she's hanging in there! And it sounds like you are doing a great job of taking care of her. No need to apologize -- having a chicken with serious injuries can be extremely traumatic for both of you.

I am more than happy if anything I've said has helped or encouraged you.

Your girl clearly has a strong will to live, and she's lucky to have a person who's willing to give her every chance to recover. Some day, EJ may be able to rejoin the flock, but that's not a decision that needs to be made right now.

BTW, I have an unintentional house chicken. Some people will tell you that a chicken can't be happy as a single bird and shouldn't live in the house. My Dottie disagrees.

Best wishes to you and EJ; please post updates when you can!

You have honestly reassured me that I'm doing everything necessary for her I wish she could talk lol so she could tell me what she needs!

I've been doing research on chickens with handicaps so I can give her the best life possible if she is blind. I am so greatful that I found backyard chickens. I promote backyard chickens all over my videos on tiktok. I also recommend it to first time chicken owners.

I most definitely will post updates! Thank you once again for your advice and kindness. it's extremely rare these days for humans to be compassionate and kind to one another.

I took care of my EE chicken after a dog attack. As result, she was blind. Yes it was a challenge, but I did it. She lived to be 11 years old. (2 years in the disabled state)
Had to keep her separated from other chickens in run area, in a wire cage. Food and water was inside for her. Had her outside in the back yard with the other chickens, but in a cage there also. I don't think she new she was in a cage. Found food, and water easily. Would just chill, and scratch the grass thru bottom of cage.
For the night, I just placed here on the coop floor on fresh bedding. The chickens did not bother her on the floor,,, as they were on their roosts.
:hugsI know you are doing your best❤️

I took care of my EE chicken after a dog attack. As result, she was blind. Yes it was a challenge, but I did it. She lived to be 11 years old. (2 years in the disabled state)
Had to keep her separated from other chickens in run area, in a wire cage. Food and water was inside for her. Had her outside in the back yard with the other chickens, but in a cage there also. I don't think she new she was in a cage. Found food, and water easily. Would just chill, and scratch the grass thru bottom of cage.
For the night, I just placed here on the coop floor on fresh bedding. The chickens did not bother her on the floor,,, as they were on their roosts.
:hugsI know you are doing your best❤️
❤️

Back
Top Bottom