12 week old sick chicken

Sweettuth

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 22, 2014
When I went to feed my chickens tonight who are still currently housed in the garage. I noticed one of my girls was lying down at the end of the brooder box. I went to poke her and she didn't budge. Managed to get her up, took her out and she's not moving around much nor is she eating, drinking or pooping. I'm going to search the forums but wanted to see if anyone has some advice. Thanks a lot, Alison

When I went to feed my chickens tonight who are still currently housed in the garage. I noticed one of my girls was lying down at the end of the brooder box. I went to poke her and she didn't budge. Managed to get her up, took her out and she's not moving around much nor is she eating, drinking or pooping. I'm going to search the forums but wanted to see if anyone has some advice. Thanks a lot, Alison

A twelve week old still in a brooder box? Is there a heat lamp on? Did it get too hot? They are all a bit old to still be housed inside in a brooder box.
If it isn't drinking it may be too late. You may have to use a dropper and try to get it hydrated. I would treat it for coccidiosis because that is usually a possibility with growing birds. It's something they catch from eating poop, so it's important to keep their brooder as clean as you can. Corid is the best thing to treat with for that and coccidiosis can kill them in a matter of three days so you have to start treating them quick once they act sickly(standing around fluffed up not moving much).
Other thing is if they are on shavings or hay or straw it may have been eating that and got blocked up. Twelve week old birds need chicken grit especially if they are on shavings or anything else they can consume, which they do especially if their feeders run out or they are chased away from the feeders. Extra feeders help with that problem. So if you don't have grit, get them some and I would keep them off hay because they always eat that and get blocked up. Once they get blocked up, there isn't much that can be done (especially at the stage you describe your bird), so it's best to prevent it. Good luck.

There's a picture of her poop if that helps at all. The store I got them at said to keep them indoors till they are 14 weeks. Their brooder box is 5 feet by 4 feet. They still have a heat lamp. They have been getting grit from day 1.

There's a picture of her poop if that helps at all. The store I got them at said to keep them indoors till they are 14 weeks. Their brooder box is 5 feet by 4 feet. They still have a heat lamp. They have been getting grit from day 1.

No, they are much too old to be in a brooder box and have a heat lamp. You need to take that lamp out now. They are likely overheating. Put a smaller watt bulb in it if you feel the need to wean them off of it. Is your garage below freezing? If not, I wouldn't worry about any heat source at 12 weeks of age. If it does get below freezing you can run a smaller watt bulb at night. How many birds are in that 5 x 4 box? I hope no more than two or three.
Who ever told you that told you wrong. You usually keep birds in a brooder for about 4 wks, or six if you intend to put them outside without a heat source. Six to eight weeks is usually all it takes before they have all their feathers in and don't need a lamp to get under if cold. Your birds are much too old for this now. The bird is likely heat stressed and very thirsty. You can try dropping water slowly in beak to rehydrate, make sure she is swallowing. If you have any electrolytes I would try that. Even gatorade. Raise that lamp way up away from them so they can cool off or turn it off if your garage doesn't freeze. I'm only thinking of keeping their water thawed, because the birds don't need the heat.

You are going to have to work on the sick bird slowly over several hours. Don't let her get water in lungs, so make sure she is making an effort to swallow. If you don't have the vitamin and electrolyte mix for birds water, use some gatorade. But I would pick some of that up at feed store and add a bit to their water to replace lost vitamins and minerals that they are losing in their droppings. I usually add about a 1/16 of a teaspoon per gallon. Unless it has directions for making it by the gallon. They usually have directions for using the whole package which is way too much.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. I lost one at the beginning of winter from a cold. I didn't act fast enough to the symptoms! Just one suggestion, always double check suggestions you get to assure your going down the right path. Sometimes you'll do everything right and still lose one, but you'll know in your heart that you did everything possible for that bird. I would always double check with the BYC community to confirm certain things, if not all for the health and well being of your flock.

Thanks a lot for your help. I checked up on her at 3 am, and she was gone. I put the rest of the girls outside today, and will keep them in their coop from now on. Having a necropsy done tomorrow to ensure the rest of my flock doesn't get ill.

Sorry she didn't make it. With them being isolated inside, I'm not sure what they could have contracted except possibly coccidiosis. I'm still thinking that and heat related stress.

I received the necroscopy results last night, poor thing had lymphoid leukosis. The vet said she was covered in tumors. :-(

I received the necroscopy results last night, poor thing had lymphoid leukosis. The vet said she was covered in tumors. :-(

Oh no. That's not good. That is an egg transmitted disease. I hope the rest of the chicks didn't come from the same mother. It is possible they can still catch it from the infected bird although the risk is low. But they were young and in close quarters. You will just have to cross your fingers on this one. I wouldn't bring in any new birds to your flock.
Here's some info on the disease:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/11/avian-leukosis-lymphoid-leukosis-leukosis-sarkoma-group

Back
Top Bottom